Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Autobahn
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Ignition barrel change?

Post by Autobahn »

I have a new lock set that according to ESM listing fits ALL 4 door Moggies.

I have fitted the boot and door lock and now need to attempt the ignition barrel as obviously want one key for all locks.

However I have read that you can not change the barrel on my '54 split screen because ignition lock is different on early pull start models. :-?

Can anyone confirm please... thanks.

andy.pointeer
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Ignition barrel change?

Post by andy.pointeer »

Hi can not help if there is any difference, but see/search for post "Ignition switch disassembly" (sorry do not know how to do link) as this shows how to remove lock from switch on my 66 Traveller

Hope this helps
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
Autobahn
Minor Friendly

Post by Autobahn »

OK... yes the barell can be changed... but I had a problem.
I saw a post that said the early pull start ignition switches had to be replaced as complete assembly, but that was wrong.

First make sure battery is disconnected.

Remove the switch with bracket that is retained by 2 screws under dash panel.

Turn key to ON positition, then use a bright torch to look through hole in chrome casing.

With a small screwdriver push down the little spring loaded locating pin that might be difficult to see.

The barrel assembly will then pull out.

The new barrel should push in, but this is where I had a problem.....
The new barrel would not push all the way inside casing allowing the spring loaded pin to locate and lock barrel in?

I tried filing the pin on leading edge to help it slot in, as this appeared to be the problem.

I push harder and harder to get the new barrel in and this eventually resulted in breaking the plastic casing at back of ignition switch assembly. :(

I then dismantled the lock completely and found that the new barrel had a slightly larger end that locates into the part of the lock that turns to connect the feed across terminals, it looks the same but is slightly larger, this is why it never slotted all the way in. :x

I spent the next 2 hours filing the new barrel until it fitted and rebuilding and repairing the switch assembly.

So the lock set is correct for all 4 door models, ( 2 door models have different door barrels) but quality of fit for the ignition switch barrel will probably leave you with a broken switch if you do not file it down first.

I suggest you compare with old barrel when removed and use it as a guide to how much to file off new barrel... hope this helps.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's because your 54 car has the pull start - it would have been fine if you had fitted a later switch with the solenoid start - even though you are obviously not going to use the twist start position on the switch.. However - as long as you have it sorted now !
ImageImage
Autobahn
Minor Friendly

Post by Autobahn »

bmcecosse wrote:That's because your 54 car has the pull start - it would have been fine if you had fitted a later switch with the solenoid start - even though you are obviously not going to use the twist start position on the switch.. However - as long as you have it sorted now !
Exactly why I posted this information about fitting the lock set on the early models using original ignition.

I fully expect the barrel fits into later turn start ignition switches with no problem.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have tried to swap an FA barrel for the earlier MRN barrel. I tried to push the spring though the hole in the casing to release the FA barrel but no luck
[sig]3580[/sig]
Autobahn
Minor Friendly

Post by Autobahn »

mike.perry wrote:I have tried to swap an FA barrel for the earlier MRN barrel. I tried to push the spring though the hole in the casing to release the FA barrel but no luck
It is a fiddly job, especially if the old pin is tight to depress, but It can be done.

Try soaking in WD40 overnight.