Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MorrisGoa
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Sidelight indicator switch(late) replacement

Post by MorrisGoa »

Hi,

My car's mechanic is having a tough time replacing the sidelight indicator switch (late, with green lens). He informs that in order to replace it, the steering nut(the large one that's under the horn push switch) has to be removed.

I'm based in Goa, India and the spanners/tools use the metric system size. So the spanners don't always fit snugly to the bolts/nuts. The spanners that might fit the nut are too large to fit in the horn casing.

My mechanic suggests that he wants to electrically weld a handle to the nut and then unscrew it. I'm frightened that the steering might get damaged/melt due to the extremely high temperatures.
1. Are my fears justified?

2. Is the removal of the nut absolutely necessary? If not, what is the alternative?

3. Would someone please post a picture of the tool/implement used to remove this nut.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Many thanks.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Sidelight indicator switch(late) replacement

Post by bmcecosse »

There will be a metric socket that fits well enough - but frankly the easy way is to CAREFULLY hit the edge of the nut anti-clockwise with a not-too-sharp chisel. The usual suspects will of course now draw in a sharp breath and then faint to the floor. It works - it doesn't do any lasting damage - it doesn't cost anything. Disconnect the battery first to prevent the horn sounding... and refit the nut in the same way. Simples!! Be sure to leave the nut on the last few threads as you 'shock' the wheel towards you - this prevents it breaking your nose when it comes free..... :D
ImageImage
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

The spanner size is 3/4" BSW / 7/8" BSF and the nearest metric size to that is 33mm.
Richard

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Richard,
The 33mm is slightly too small. I use a Proxxon 34mm socket and it fits nicely.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
MorrisGoa
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrisGoa »

Thanks bmcecosse, IslipMinor, Declan_Burns for the quick responses.

My mechanic & his friends have the 34mm spanner, but the its outer diameter is too large to fit in the horn casing. So I'll go to the hardware store and see if I can find one that has a smaller outer diameter.

Incidentally, 33mm is the same size as the nut where the engine starting handle fits. (If someone reading this post has difficulties with this stubborn nut you might want to read http://www.morrisminor.slt.lk/TechInfo/ ... letter.htm)
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

MorrisGoa,
That's why I bought the Proxxon 34mm socket because it is thin walled.
Here's a source:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Proxxon-Stecksch ... SwbqpTxOhv
If you cover the postage and the cost of the socket (Paypal) I can order it and send it to you.
Postage from Germany to India would be 3.45€ if the weight is below 500g and 7Euro up to 1kg.
The postage from the seller to me is actually dearer (4.50 Euro) than from me to you.
There is only one left but here is another source:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Proxxon-Stecksch ... f2-oJYWncA
Or if you can wait I could buy one at the local DIY and save the inner German postage.

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
MorrisGoa
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrisGoa »

Declan,

Many thanks for the offer. I will try here first.

My mechanic had closed his workshop and was preoccupied with preparations for his wedding on 31-Oct. Hopefully, it will re-open this week and he will make the purchase.

The following is a popular brand here http://www.tapariatools.com/socket_sets.html. These are thin walled sockets.

Alternatively, I could just purchase a 34mm tubular box spanner(pic below). These are also available.

Will keep you updated..
MorrisGoa
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrisGoa »

SOLVED:

A 33mm bi-hexagonal (12 points) socket fitted and the nut has been taken off, finally!!!

The 34mm bi-hexagonal was a bit loose.

Something new I learnt ... The bi-hexagonal one grips only the corners and might not be suitable if the nut's corners are rounded/damaged. In such a case use a hexagonal (6 points) socket. Check out this link for a more in-depth article

https://sites.google.com/site/harkoswor ... hexsockets

My mechanic says he was keen on purchasing a bi-hexagonal one(as against a hexagonal) since he could used it on certain imported bikes with nuts having more than 6 corners.

Thanks to all.