Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
redwarfie
MMOC Member: No

First Time Buyer Help

Post by redwarfie »

Hi all!

I've been lurking in the forums for some time now, looking for hints and tips, and also waiting for a good first minor to come up! I'm currently 20 and have decided that I want to drive a Morris Minor!

I have come across this little car, and would appreciate any thoughts! Being based in Preston myself this is ideal, as nearly all the other Minors I see are in the south, and is difficult for me!

Any thought, tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/ ... is%2BMinor

Thanks in advance!
Dan
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: First Time Buyer Help

Post by busguy »

Get someone locally from the club to check it over for you if you can.
Rust is the killer, but in many cases repair panels are available. If the body, inner wings, and underside are solid, the price to me is reasonable. Interior work you can sort out, and paint and mechanical should not be a worry as most can be sorted with secondhand or plentiful new spares.
If you go and look at it, there is more than enough information on this site for you to make a sensible decision, either way. However, if you are unsure, take photos of the worrying areas and post them on this site asap for opinions. Make sure the photos are no bigger than 640x480 pixels or they won't load.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Welcome to the Messageboard! 8)

As with any car this old your biggest problem is rust, the mechanical bits are easy. I would agree with Busguy, make contact with the local branch and Im sure someone will go and look at it with you. Theres is also a facebook page for Young Owners that is quite active, and there may be somone in your area.

https://www.facebook.com/MMOCYM?ref=hl

Too many Minors so little time.....
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

Hi, great choice of motah.

Taking a slightly different view, I would think that any minor this cheap is going to be beset with problems. generally, if theylook rough then they are rough. I'd like to see a quality listing as opposed to a few brief lines as this tells you the seller knows and cares about what they are selling.

Going to view is by far the best thing to do as, good or bad it gives you experience in what you are looking at. Without a doubt you should ask for the sill kick plates to be removed prior to viewing and take a copy of the buying guide along. (Available here)

Consider the electrics as well, is it negative earth? Easy to convert if not but as a young chap it's reasonable to think you need your tech in there along with a decent stereo for pumpin tunez yeah, thus, an alternator should be likely fitted as an upgrade. Many have them already so check.

Any minor can be fixed, made beautiful and reliable but they can rapidly turn from a cheap one into a very costly one.

Buy the best you can afford and look after it very well, if you do you will save on repairs and have a depreciation proof car.

Al
redwarfie

Post by redwarfie »

Hi!

Thank you all for your great help! I have spoken to the guy that is listing the car, and he has given me a few more details:

The car was running and had a valid MOT up until 6 months ago, when he bought it, and he put a SORN on it whilst he worked on it.

He said he had had a look over and there was no real rot, but I will still only believe this when I go and see it myself!

In relation to the comment above, you said to check the inner wings, presumably this is the inside of the wheel arches right? (Sorry, like I said, I'm fairly new to all of this!)

I would imagine that it has been converted to negative earth and has an alternator, as the person the lister bought the car off was a young guy, looking to do the car up, and also, looking at the dash in front of the driver, there appears to be some additional dials that are not standard, am I right in thinking this? But obviously I cannot assume anything without inspecting it myself!

When I go to view, will there be an obvious give-away that it has been converted to neg earth, or has an alternator, as I have unfortunately not had the pleasure of yet inspecting a Minor to see the original wiring.

Also in relation to the mention of the "noisy thrust bearing" what is this, and is it a major concern I should have?!

As I have said above, I am new to the classic car scene, but wouldn't at all mind getting a car that works, and is good for use, but requires work along the way!

Thanks again for all your help! And sorry about even more questions!

Dan
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

The listing does not state what thrust bearing is noisy. There are two, one in the clutch and a pair on the engine crankshaft either can be noisy. Bit of work required to sort either I’m afraid but the clutch one is a bit less work than the crankshaft ones. It's usually the clutch one that needs replacing and requires the gearbox to be separated from the engine. Is there any mention of why it has not got an MOT.

redwarfie

Post by redwarfie »

When I spoke to the owner yesterday, he said the thrust bearing and the gearbox were noisy! so hopefully this means it's to do with the clutch as this sounds like the lesser of two evils!

In relation to the MOT, he said it's because he was working on it, and he simply had not put it through the MOT as he had no intention of using the car until he had finished doing the work he had planned for it. I asked if there was any reason it would not pass, and he said he could not see any, as it has been stored in his garage for the last 6 months, and it has an MOT before that, the only reason could be the brakes, as it has been sat he said.

Thanks for your help!

Dan
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

As he said the brakes could fail an MOT I think he is being honest with you, some would not mention it. The clutch release bearing is not expensive to fix but a bit time consuming and needs a bit of spanner knowledge :wink: If as you say the gearbox may be noisy after sorting the clutch bearing you can buy them second hand or rebuild it, not a problem. The tools you will need to work on a moggy are old English types so factor in buying these. You need to contact the young members side of the club and you will be surprised how helpful they are. Providing you realise a bit of money and time will need to be spent with this car you could end up with a good un. Assuming you know the difference between a generator and an alternator (google it), if the car has an alternator fitted it will be negative earth Welcome to the club by the way, any problems come on here we are very helpful.

redwarfie

Post by redwarfie »

Yeah, thankfully my Dad repairs coaches so I should be able to ask him for help and possibly tools if (I'm being overly optimistic here) needed along the way! The guy does seem to be being genuine with the whole thing and is acknowledging that it's not perfect!

Thanks for specifying the alternator / neg earth identification, I will make sure I have a look so I know what I'm looking for before I view the car!

Also thanks for the warm welcome! I have very quickly realised that these forums will be invaluable along the road to getting my first Minor and getting it to a roadworthy condition!

Dan
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Have you any idea of the year, the reg says it's pre 1963. The fact a bit of work and money will be needed to get it on the road is a good reason to get the price reduced. You don't know yet if all the lights will work or what the state of the engine is like, it might run but a bit smoky or rattly. None of these are a big problem though but grounds for a good price :lol:

redwarfie

Post by redwarfie »

I spoke to the seller, and although he didn't have the paperwork in front of him, he seemed to recall it was 1962. He does have the V5 and original logbook so I should be able to check that out!

Hoping to go and have a look at it this weekend, if I can convince my dad to come with me! He know's more about it, and his friend own's a Morris Van, so hopefully he will be able to speak to him and get a general idea of what to look for so we both know what to look for!

I intend to check over all the electronics and start it up to see how it sounds, and won't pay a penny more than what I think it's worth, especially as you said, on the grounds that it will take a fair bit of work, time and money to get it on the road

Thanks!

Dan
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

OK good luck with it. I hope it turns out to be a good un for you.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The 'no real rust' would bother me - so there is perhaps 'unreal' rust??? By far best to get the friend with the Minor Van to inspect the car with you. Noisy thrust bearing ?? And then he mentions 'gearbox' - so it's all slowly coming out - assume it needs a clutch and gearbox - and all new brakes.... - but by far the biggest worry (apart from the colour...) is the 'unreal' rust. I get the feeling it's a 'money pit' - and he has realised that - and that's why it's up for sale... 'Negative earth' and 'alternator' are the very least of the concerns here!
ImageImage
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Well,it's not expensive at first sight but they can turn into a money pit very quickly. I reckon for every £10 spent on restoration you might get a quid or two back. My advice would be to spend a bit more on a car that someone else has thrown thousands into!
Depends whether you really want to spend lots of time and energy doing the work,if so enjoy the hobby. Otherwise get a well sorted car and enjoy driving it.
No right answer,it's what you fancy doing :-?