Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Strange running problem

Post by bmcecosse »

I think the Bosch may now be made in the same place as Lucas....... I would go with Distributor Docter who seems to get good reviews on here. Just check it is 3.2 ohms when it arrives.
ImageImage
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

It seems that the problem isn't yet solved! I was driving yesterday and after a long drive, suddenly the car started idling rough, almost cutting out. Again, it seemed like the choke was stuck out but it wasn't. This time it was accompanied by a smell of fuel. After driving the short distance back home, it was idling fine again. Any ideas?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Flooding carb...look to the float valve.
ImageImage
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, float valve may be worn or occasional dirt sticking it open - is fuel pump filter working OK?
Failing that, maybe carb suction chamber and piston need a clean? It is an intermittent problem, which makes it a trickey one to fix, but it does sound like a fuel issue.
But what did happen in the end about that arcing coil?
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I suspected that it might be thinking about when you suggested it before. Is it possible for it to only occasionally flood then? The carb does need an overhaul I think. The engine speed is dramatically affected by placing a finger over the throttle spindle holes so I reckon they need rebushing.

The arcing coil is still arcing as far as I know and could be contributing to a rough idle :/ It is idling worse than it should in general and gets worse when it's hot. There's a popping sound from the engine.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Chase up another carb - 1.5" SU if you can get it on a decent inlet manifold. It's hardly worth 'reconditioning' a tiny 1.25" SU. Here you go .... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/classic-mini- ... SwmtJXW~Zn
ImageImage
pandaman
Minor Friendly

Post by pandaman »

Evening All
Try painting over the tracking area with clear nail varnish, it works on mother boards.
Regards Pandaman.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

[quote="James k"] Is it possible for it to only occasionally flood then?

Yes, sometimes dirt can jam the float needle valve open for a bit, it floods, and then the dirt is washed away and the valve operates normally again. That's why I asked about your pump filter - if its old/damaged, it could be letting dirt through...which could also cause an occassional sticking piston.

But I wouldn't leave an arcing coil in the car. If the ignition system isn't known to be A1 then that could compromise your investigations into the fuel side.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Note that slight air leakage at the carb spindle only upsets the idle slightly (maybe 1% of engine running ??) - it matters not when running along, so don't get too hung up on that.
ImageImage
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Is there any advantage to the HS4 without further modifications. Also, I will enjoy rebuilding mine :lol: I should probably do the fuel pump at the same time or at least clean out the filter. As for the arcing at the coil, I may just buy a new Bosch one when I've got some money spare!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - the larger carb on a decent alloy inlet manifold will release a few more BHP. Change that coil asap - an 'arcing coil' is only going to get worse and let you down... Although I say it's never the coil - there are limits - and if the HT is shorting across the top, it's a breakdown waiting to happen. Just be sure to get a 3.2 ohms coil - and not a 'ballast' 2.2ohm coil.... Make that the top priority -then worry about the carb. A 'secret switch' of course will allow you to test if the carb is overflowing - just switch the pump off for a few seconds and see if the problem disappears!
ImageImage