Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
grandpascot
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Brake Lining & Drums

Post by grandpascot »

On braking the front of the car vibrates quite badly and thinking that the brakes also did not have the stopping power that they should I checked the adjustment but found it to be correct.

I have now removed the hub and can't read/understand what I have found which is were I need help please.

The pictures show that the top of the brake shoe is rough and feels like it's breaking up into particles. Both ends are smooth. There is also a ridge at the back. This applies to the other brake pad as well. The ridge corresponds to the score mark on the hub which as can be seen is badly scored.

I imagine that I need to replace the brake shoes and the the hubs?

Mike
Attachments
IMG_0716.jpeg
IMG_0716.jpeg (43.83 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
IMG_0713.jpeg
IMG_0713.jpeg (33.6 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Brake Lining & Drums

Post by philthehill »

The brake shoe has not bedded in over it full length only at the ends
The particles gathering on the non bedded in section of the shoe are the brake lining wearing's, the shoe otherwise appears to be satisfactory.
You can rub down the ends of the shoe to assist the bedding in process. You may have to rub down more than once.
When fully bedded in the shoe will be smooth all over and there will be no particles on the shoe.
As regards the drum (not hub as you call it) you can leave it as it is as it appears from the photo to be not serious or replace the drum, but if you replace one drum you should replace both to equalizes the braking.

amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Before replacing the drums get some rough emery cloth and using a circular motion score the surface the shoes rub on, this will help the shoes bed in and flat the rubbing surface. No need to go mad you just need to score it up a bit. The braking action will soon smooth the surface again.

grandpascot
Minor Friendly

Post by grandpascot »

Thanks for the advice. I shall deal with that tomorrow.
Am I right in assuming that after the brakes have bedded in the car still judders on braking then I should replace the drums?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Not necessarily - I would wait and see how it all pans out.