Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
NoviceM
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Setting timing....marks?

Post by NoviceM »

Has anyone got any tips for easily using Timing lamp ...... I find it very difficult to see timing marks on crankshaft pulley, tried using mirror etc
...but right pain. Any suggestions would be welcome
Classiccars
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Setting timing....marks?

Post by Classiccars »

Make them bigger with white paint or chalk etc.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I'll second that; timing marks are impossible to see under a strobe light when they're the same colour as the rest of the moving and stationary parts.
Highlight the pointers and the notch with some white paint.
I don't know when 'Timing Lights' were first generally available, but I can remember my first one in the early 70s was simply an inductive Neon powered by the spark itself. Damn near useless, unless working in the dark with the lights off!
Always marked the relative points with white paint to stand a chance of seeing them :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

Totally agree with highlighting the marks with white paint.
Why oh why did they position them underneath?
I have an electronic distributor (+ve earth) and it's only possible to accurately check or time the ignition using a light.
Rather than lie on the floor, and have to then gt up and make any adjustments at the distributor, I use a largish mirror on the floor in which the highlighted marks can be seen.
It's possible to aim the light from above, at the mirror, and observe the marks in the mirror. Remembering it is a mirror image!
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Set it on the makrs statically the white paint new ones in a visible position that suits you on top and use them for strobe. As long as its the crank it's the same. :tu1:
Regards Bill
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

I did consider doing that Bill, but personally find it just as easy using the mirror on the floor. 8)
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

olonas wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:03 am I did consider doing that Bill, but personally find it just as easy using the mirror on the floor. 8)
But the op was looking for tips, so now has two suggestions :tu1:
Regards Bill
NoviceM
Minor Friendly

Post by NoviceM »

Thanks for replies, I will give the mirror suggestion a try, if thats not successful, I will repaint more accessible marks as we also suggested. Many thanks to all.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

I don't know when 'Timing Lights' were first generally available, but I can remember my first one in the early 70s was simply an inductive Neon powered by the spark itself.

Just a development of using the spark plug itself? A 1930 engine I have was timed (according to the instruction manual) by laying one spark plug in front of the flywheel and noting the position of the flywheel marks passing the fiducial pointer. I suppose it worked for earlier engines as well.

Yes, neons were not exactly bright but xenon variants can be easier by an order of magnitude - at least - but it does depend on the power. Back using the spark plug illumination, it was always carried out near dusk or in a sheltered barn.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Video showing using mirror if any use to you.
https://youtu.be/wPQ87ljO1xU?si=W_12wzAy5VUbNHLr
Regards Bill