Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
a8pte
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

ignition

Post by a8pte »

i would like to put a electronic ignition on my morris please can anyone advise me which is the eaiest and cheapest to install as im not very mech minded thanks
cadetchris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: ignition

Post by cadetchris »

you dont really need to put an electronic ignition on a morris minor, just the ability to set up the points properly and maintain it properly.
millions of cars where built with points and condensers in the ignition system and it worked and still works well.

personally, i would save your money and just buy a spare set of points and a condenser, just in case
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

My view too - points are best for a Minor, but if you must, the BBC and Accuspark systems seem to work ok.
ImageImage
Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

My view is different. :) If you do any mileage then from my experience electronic ignition is a great idea, it cuts down on maintenance and means your car runs at its best all the time.

I fitted the Magnetronic module.

In fact I've even fitted it to my Sprite which only goes out on warm sunny days but it does mean I don't have to routinely clean the oxidisation off the points before starting it in the spring.
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

People have said electronic ignition for reliability. I have points and the condensor failed. I could still drive the car 'just' and nurse it home/garage etc. I beleive with electronic ignition, although fails less, when it does you are stuck?
I may be wrong but I'd rather change points than the whole ignition. Open to being proved wrong though... :lol:

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
a8pte
Minor Fan

Post by a8pte »

many thanks to all who replied much wiser now
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

a8pte wrote:many thanks to all who replied much wiser now
??? You will never get any wiser asking about electronic Vs points :D
As you can see, there is the "nothing wrong with points" brigade and the "Electronic for reliability" bunch.

As your Classic Insurance will almost certainly have a recovery deal involved, then I would dump about £60 of the "SimonBBC" electronic distributor on the engine, and wait for the day it dies( you may be in for a long wait!!).
As has been written many times, the quality of modern points and condensers is such that, if you are not mechanically minded, the recovery team is more likely to be needed with the old skool set-up! Sad but true :(
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

When driving 18,000 miles a year, I got fed up with changing points every 6,000 miles, and went electronic. Advantage: set and forget. Disadvantage: more difficult to set static timing, had to use a lamp with the engine running. It ran perfectly for tw0-and-half years, then stopped dead. I swapped back to the spare points that I kept in the tool box, and have stayed the same every since.

There's no "right" or "wrong" answer, just personal preference.
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

good post simmitc :D :D
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
Bazzalucas
Minor Fan

Post by Bazzalucas »

I run a Pertronix setup and love it. I also have a spare distributor just in case! Belt-and-braces (or 'suspenders' as we say over here).
[img]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm274/bazzalucas/Morris.jpg[/img]
a8pte
Minor Fan

Post by a8pte »

any idea which would be the best to buy.
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

There is no "best", but, if you get the "SimonBBC" one you get a complete new distributor mechanism as well for a very reasonable price!
Bazzalucas
Minor Fan

Post by Bazzalucas »

I know the Pertronix fits inside the distributor, a direct replacement for the points, and is easy to install. It uses a hall-effect (magnetic pick-up) to trigger the coil. It is available for Positive and Negative ground systems. Over here, they go for about 80 USD.
a8pte
Minor Fan

Post by a8pte »

thanks all been very kind and helpfull a8 pte
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

FWIW, hall-effect is not the same as magnetic pick-up.
Talk slow, think fast!
Bazzalucas
Minor Fan

Post by Bazzalucas »

The shame! I may never post again.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i have maganatroinc system in my dizzy done 30000 miles with it no problems
[sig]5641[/sig]
C6Dave
Minor Fan

Post by C6Dave »

Points do burn. My car has covered 700 miles on a new set of points and they are pitted already.

So, at the NEC Classic Car show at the weekend I got an electronic conversion kit for the 1098cc from http://ignitioncarparts.co.uk/PartDetai ... 015&s_vid= for £25 cash. \It's a lucas kit part number: ICP-EK015 (Negative Earth)

Took all of 10 minutes to swap over from points and condenser which included opening the packaging, the bonnet. Reading the short instructions and trying the car to see if it would fire up, which it did first time.

It was idiot proof (No I'm not implying that any members are)
Our other car is a 2009 Citroen C6 3.0 HDi a 'future classic' and far rarer than a Morris Minor!!

The 'moggie' has been replaced with another 'classic' a 1953 Citroen Traction Avant 11BL