Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
crossmeglan1
MMOC Member: No

spilt window fitting

Post by crossmeglan1 »

Hi Everybody
I am New to the site and also owenership of my Moggy,Called this as I have not finished tidying him up and don't want to give him a name until finished, That's where you fine people come in !

I have had to replace the front window rubber and am having a real big problem fitting the new rubber . Big is a small way of saying it.

2 Weeks at it now and still no joy, Help is what I need big time, I can not get the windows in, I have tried everything, oil,firry luqid,grease, soap , hot water, everything,

Can anyone help me get this fine car back on the road ? I just cant get it in ? Help Help Help

At this stage I am willing to pay to have it fitted, I live in Lancaster, Lancs, Please let me know ?
alanworland
Minor Legend

Re: spilt window fitting

Post by alanworland »

Have a search for front screen fitting, there is a lot of useful advice.
I seem to remember it was quite traumatic, for myself and my wife!

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18668

Just one of many.

Alan
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

You have hit on the one job that most people dread, most wndscreen fitters seem to be unable to fit them properly and I have seen some real bodged jobs such as stuffing mastic between the screens, I found this out when I opened the box of fittings and saw the rubber centre strip still there. Also people I know have had the chrome centre pillar cut down to make it fit and others have lost the top and bottom clips which are virtualy irreplaceable.
So read all the posts and don't trust anyone without a proven record
[sig]3580[/sig]
Autobahn
Minor Friendly

Post by Autobahn »

I have searched on internet last year and there was a very good video showing a step by step guide to doing this difficult job.

I am now at the stage to refit my screen but want to get the headlining done first as I think that job is even worse than fitting the windscreen.

I understand some replacement rubbers were slightly too big which didn't help the job...... good luck.

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Best way I've found is exactly as it says in the workshop manual. A dummy centre pillar is easy enough to make up and you assemble it all on the bench first. It works well with two people inside one pushing/holding each side of the screen and a third person outside pulling the piece of string and shouting at the people inside to push harder!
1st one I ever fitted took about 3 hours, and the last one I did took about 15mins. The 'pusher' was also experienced in fitting them by that stage. Dont' be afraid to smack the inside of the glass very hard with the palm of your hand to help seat it and be careful not to use string that's too thin as it can easily cut the rubber as you pull it round the corners.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!