Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ColinChandler
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

wires to door speakers

Post by ColinChandler »

hello everyone,
my quest for a reasonable radio in my Morris has now moved on a step. Putting the speakers in the doors seems an option so does anyone have any tidy ways of getting the speaker wires to the doors without having them hanging too slack or getting nipped in the door shut?
thanks, Colin.
Gareth
Minor Legend

RE: wires to door speakers

Post by Gareth »

You can fit speakers in the scuttle panels by your feet - just above the parcel shelf, you know... It's much tidier, and if you want to replace the trim panels, they're much cheaper than door panels. It also means that the speakers are concealed a little more. If you're set on fitting them in the doors, you could try using the rubber wiring sheathes from the door-wiring of a Metro, but I don't know if there would be sufficient clearance for the door to close. You could modify the door-stays, I suppose, and have them use those as a guide??
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
Welung666
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

RE: wires to door speakers

Post by Welung666 »

I'd be a little concerned that the window glass would hit the speakers if they were mounted in the door cards, the glass comes most of the way down the inside of the door and is only an inch or so behind the cards. The scuttle panels would be a better place to mount them, it would also save the hassle of finding a route for the wiring.

Lee
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Re: RE: wires to door speakers

Post by bigginger »

Welung666 wrote:I'd be a little concerned that the window glass would hit the speakers if they were mounted in the door cards, the glass comes most of the way down the inside of the door and is only an inch or so behind the cards.
Lee
Just what I was going to say. I've never figured out a way to do it, and I've tried and tried, but if you manage it, do let us know how!
turbominor
Minor Fan

Post by turbominor »

done the speakers in the doors before, if you have them up to 13cm mounted low down near the front of the door the windows miss.

cable is easy drill a hole near to the pin swith for the light that will allow some windscreen water pipe throught and the same in the door and then thread your speaker cable through the holes and pipe pipe stops it being trapped and the cables apear in the space between the inner wing and the dash
missing life with a moggie
ColinChandler
Minor Fan

Post by ColinChandler »

thanks everyone for your help. Its much appreciated. Cheers, Colin.
mrpickup
Minor Friendly

Post by mrpickup »

I managed to squeeze some 6x9 speakers into my doors by keeping them low down and forward, but even though they only protruded about 1cm out from the door card I eventually had to remove them because of the kicking they got most times when I got in or out the car and every time I had a passenger!! Now have some smaller speakers in the scuttle panels, well out of the way of bigfoot but with similar sound quality.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

mrpickup wrote: they only protruded about 1cm out from the door card
Precisely what I was trying to avoid when I tried...
a
catsoup
Minor Friendly

Post by catsoup »

Best add some window 'lip seal' to keep them dry if you do put them in the doors.
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

surely fitting them in the door was cause unwanted noise cause by the sound echoing around the inside of your door, what I did was construct small pods and set them back in the parcel shelf under the dash so they were not vissible, this also meant they were easy to wire up.
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

Definately put them in the scuttle panels/cards as suggested.

The previous owner of mine has fitted speakers in the doors and I could kick him for it.
They completely ruin the look of the door cards.
Having seen other minors with un-brutalised doors I can only cry when I have to look at mine.
Also, at 50 quid a pop for 'new' door cards there's no turning back.

I've made new scuttle panels out of 3mm ply which are covered with red vinyl. Do something similar (use the originals as a template) and they'll hold a speaker fine. :-)
Blunt
Minor Friendly

Post by Blunt »

these are on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MORRIS-MINOR-TRAV ... dZViewItem

edit: they're not mine btw

and why do urls have to be visible?
on other boards I visit urls can be replaced with text to make a link (if you know what I mean) the ones here make the page too wide
My Karma just ran over your Dogma
Cam

Post by Cam »

Blunt wrote:and why do urls have to be visible?
They don't. They can be done like this: Blunt's URL

By doing the following:

Code: Select all

[url=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MORRIS-MINOR-TRAVELLER-SALOON-SPEAKER-HOUSING_W0QQitemZ4572893838QQcategoryZ27381QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Blunt's URL[/url]
Blunt
Minor Friendly

Post by Blunt »

ta cam
My Karma just ran over your Dogma