Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Holes in my floor above exhaust heat shield

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
As you can guess from the title I have found three holes and weakened metal in my passenger side floor panel today, whilst cleaning off old (bitumen?) sound deadening(?) gunk, that had hid it quite well, whilst lifting just enough in places to allow moisture to get at the metal underneath.
All appear to be in the area above my exhaust heat shield, which means it will have to come off to effect a repair.
My question is: Is this heat shield asbestos?
My car dates to 1954, which makes me suspect it is, as they had no idea how dangerous it was back then.
I think this topic may have been covered before but I'm also wondering if, as I have never seen a new replacement for this, there is any need to put it (or a suitable replacement) back (mind you I will not be putting it back if it is asbestos), as, like I said above, it is now necessary to remove it.
Does it really serve any purpose / how effective is it?
Needless to say, I will mask up and be very careful in its removal.
Many thanks in advance for any help with this question.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Holes in my floor above exhaust heat shield

Post by philthehill »

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/engin ... or-p830069

The original asbestos material absorbed the damp and so rotted out the floor. Just after purchasing my Minor many many years ago I ditched the heat shield and pad before it rotted out the floor as it was a known problem even back then.
I never noticed any problems after the shield and pad removal.
Phil

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks Phil,
So no need for it then but ESM do them for those who want to be totally original.

However the bigger question you have answered is that it is asbestos, as I suspected.
Extreme care needed in its removal then.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
beero
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by beero »

I renewed mine with a sheet of aluminium but fitted it using spacers so there is an air gap between the shield and the floor. seems to work well as the floor never gets hot.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Not keen to replace it with anything, as that is the one section of floor that will now need replacing, thanks to the asbestos 'sheild' :roll:......
Once removed the section above where it was has disintegrated further, I had to use an angle grinder to grind the heads of the seized machine screws (with nuts underneath) holding it to the car floor, then tapped them through with a punch, at which point it fell off.
So once there is nice new solid metal in place I think I'll leave it off.
As an aside ESM have sold out of L/H front floor quarter panels, more cars with the same issue??
Best wishes,
Mike.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Remember that it is not only the removal of the asbestos that needs to be handled with care. You must use appropriate PPE when handling it, and then dispose of as a hazardous material, not just chucked in the bin.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Check with your local authority for correct Disposal, but it can be an extremely difficult thing to do.

What is the original Asbestos protection (Basil's was removed long before I brought him)?
Is it a woven mat, like the old Fire Blankets used to be, or solid cement bonded material like they used to use as Iron Stands on ironing boards in the 40s-60s?

Many County Council 'Tips' will only take solid cement bonded materials, like roof sheets, guttering etc, not the woven material.

If I recall, Mike is a Nottinghamshire resident.
Notts CC actually have the nerve to levy an £80 flat fee, irrespective of the quantity involved!

of course, at the moment there is nowhere open to accept it anyhow..... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

Ours is a late one it looks to have had the metal sheild from new, I haven't re-fitted it though and nothing seems to get particularly warm.