Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Boot Water leak

Post by geoberni »

Hi All
So after washing the car, I noticed just a little water had got into the boot.
It looks like it probably got in here, where there's a gap in the rubber seal. it's being held out by the wing piping.
Has the piping been incorrectly installed? Or What?

It's the same on both sides.

Thoughts please...
20220910_162648.jpg
20220910_162648.jpg (910.39 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Boot Water leak

Post by ManyMinors »

It isn't that rubber which acts as a seal though. There is another inner seal - or grommet - around the bumper mounting which is behind and obscured by the larger one in your picture. That is what should keep the water out. There are plenty of sealants which can be used to waterproof the area. Water can enter the boot from several different sources such as the hinges, the boot rubber seal, holes drilled for the boot badges, the number plate and light and also the holes in the inner wings through which the rear light wiring travels. Probably other ways too but that is for starters!
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

i had a saloon that was leaking water into the boot in almost all of the locations you mentioned Many Minors. None of them were gushing water in but a few drops from various locations is enough for it to gather in the bottom of the boot. Good luck in finding the source of the leak.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:23 pm It isn't that rubber which acts as a seal though. There is another inner seal - or grommet - around the bumper mounting which is behind and obscured by the larger one in your picture. That is what should keep the water out.
Thanks for that info, I'd looked at the image in the AKD3542, but couldn't quite work it out.
I should have realised, a PO hasn't fitted the Grommets! :roll: :roll:

I'm guessing the required part is this : https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... 09-p828043
20220911_103634.jpg
20220911_103634.jpg (812.13 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Basil the 1955 series II