Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MontysDad
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Sunvisors

Post by MontysDad »

Just bought a '67 traveller and find the sunvisors feel like they have disintegrated inside. Is this normal or could they do with repairing/replacing?

New sunvisors seem very expensive for what they are, any advice, tips or tricks?

Thanks,
Martin
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Re: Sunvisors

Post by Classiccars »

One chsp posted somewhere slicing them and filling with expanding foam.Sounds like it could go wrong quite easily.But for those able to do I guess a good fix
cLunK
Minor Friendly

Post by cLunK »

Martin

I repaired mine

A bit fiddly but definitely doable

We had some plastic type board, from hobby craft, it's white thin plastic over a sort of foam.

I carefully split the original cover along the top edge seam using a v sharp blade.
Once you have the frame out I just made up a template from that
Covered the lot with thin foam and some spray adhesive

I managed to fit the board within the frame to keep it in place.

Refitting the cover after a good clean was just a matter of running a bead of glue along the cut edge

Bit of a faf and you will need a vacuum cleaner to hand as 55 odd year old foam goes everywhere 😁

Nice job to do on the kitchen table when the dark evenings return

Andy
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

MontysDad wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:10 am Is this normal
What I've found with the Minor (and some other vehicles) is that if there's any small amount of rust in the hinge (or whatever you prefer to call it) and you then try and push/pull them - the inner material snaps and I reckon some people never notice this and keep on using them, and so keep damaging the internal structure.

So yes, I'd say it's normal and once you've sorted them, something to be wary of in future use :)
MontysDad
Minor Friendly

Post by MontysDad »

That sounds like an useful way to fix them. I'd been wondering about buying an old sunvisor and taking it apart to see how it was put together before tackling my own but slicing it along the top should do the job nicely :)
cLunK wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:33 pm Martin

I repaired mine

A bit fiddly but definitely doable

We had some plastic type board, from hobby craft, it's white thin plastic over a sort of foam.

I carefully split the original cover along the top edge seam using a v sharp blade.
Once you have the frame out I just made up a template from that
Covered the lot with thin foam and some spray adhesive

I managed to fit the board within the frame to keep it in place.

Refitting the cover after a good clean was just a matter of running a bead of glue along the cut edge

Bit of a faf and you will need a vacuum cleaner to hand as 55 odd year old foam goes everywhere 😁

Nice job to do on the kitchen table when the dark evenings return

Andy
MontysDad
Minor Friendly

Post by MontysDad »

Thanks for the input folks, shall tackle my sunvisors in the next week or two and let you know how it goes.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I went mad and bought new ones when I fitted new headlining. Looks very nice indeed, but bl**dy expensive. So good luck with the restorations! I replaced the plastic clips, but today found that due to slow restoration and failing memory I'd bought the same clips twice. So - I can offer one (possibly two) very poor condition late model sunvisor for autopsy purposes, and eight plastic clips. No cash payment needed, just a promise to bung a few quid to my favourite charity, Parkinson's UK. Let me know if interested - I'll post but if you're anywhere near Leeds it would be nice if you could collect.
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

I would be up for those, Mark.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

I have a pair of new unopened sun visors from Newton Commercial.

https://newtoncomm.co.uk/products/morri ... in-1964-71

Please see attached pictures.

Happy to accept half the current price plus postage at cost or collection from South Croydon.
Attachments
IMG_20220928_104432948.jpg
IMG_20220928_104432948.jpg (133.02 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
IMG_20220928_104428399.jpg
IMG_20220928_104428399.jpg (75.08 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
IMG_20220928_104424548.jpg
IMG_20220928_104424548.jpg (108.49 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

OK Mobylette, I haven't heard back from Mark so I will switch onto your offer. PM on way.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Sorry, don't look at this every day. I would snap the new ones up too, and the clips are still available if you want them. PM me if you do.
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

The Downside of being a Cheapskate
Only myself to blame.
I was offered a pair of "new" sunvisors at about half price; bought many moons ago but never fitted. I snapped them up.
What I didn't spot - and I'm pretty sure that the chap who offered them to me didn't either - was that they differ from the originals I removed. The axles are way shorter on the "new" ones.
I am fairly sure that they are just made wrong; but being new to the intricacies of the Morris Minor world, maybe there is a logical explanation. If so I would love to hear it.
The problem is that when fitted, on one the axle is too short to make it as far as the outermost clip into which it is supposed to register.
I wondered if they were handed, and that a swap from n/s to o/s would bring about a remedy.
Oh! no. Worse than that. When I de-packaged the second "new" one, the axle doesn't even make it out from under the fabric!
So - is it me? Is there an explanation? Or am I falling foul of my cheapskatedness?
IMG_20221008_163321876.jpg
IMG_20221008_163321876.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 2472 times
IMG_20221008_163344249.jpg
IMG_20221008_163344249.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 2472 times
Last edited by unclealec on Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

To be fair these were NOS visors still in their sealed bags from Newton Commercial that came with a complete reupholstery kit. They were not used because my car was never fitted or drilled for visors.

I have offered a full refund to the purchaser.
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

That is interesting, Martin. I wonder if the Convertibles either don't have visors at all, or don't have the downstream plastic brackets intended to steady the trailing end of the visors?
If that is the case it would explain the absence of axle protrusion, and also give me hope that the stiffening action I took with the locknuts will suffice.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.