Betty ! The Morris Minor. Is the Car familiar to anyone ?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Zuma
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Betty ! The Morris Minor. Is the Car familiar to anyone ?

Post by Zuma »

CNP 58H TRAFALGAR BLUE 1970 MORRIS MINOR . BETTY ...Having just aquired my first classic Im keen to know her History.

Previous owner did not know a lot.. He told me he had bought it from a chap Near Doncaster about 5 months back ..he has passed on my e-mail address to said chap but no info forthcoming in last month.

Good little car and decent runner..few jobs to do but mostly cosmetic.Its right they do put a smile on your face !

Im new here so hello to all..its a pleasure reading and learning. Zuma.
Last edited by Zuma on Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
rocco
Minor Fan

Re: Betty ! The Morris Minor. Is the name familiar to anyone ?

Post by rocco »

Congratulations on your new wheels Zuma and welcome to the fold. :tu1:

It would be great to see a photo(s) of your new pride and joy, just because I'm nosy and I do like the colour.

A heritage certificate seems to be the recommendation that others make when searching for info. See here >>> https://www.morrisheritagecenter.org/

Just kidding, here is the correct link >>> https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/ar ... rtificates

This is the most active UK forum I've found and there are some incredibly knowledgeable folk on here. I am not one of them yet, only just starting my resto project.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Bill_qaz »

Welcome Zuma. I to have a trafalgar blue but early sixties, "Monty" just coming to first anniversary of ownership. Hope you enjoy your moggy and this very knowledgeable forum group.
PS. My scooter is a Zuma Yamaha 125 :lol:
Regards Bill
Zuma
Minor Friendly

Post by Zuma »

Thanks Rocco , thanks Bill . Nice to receive a warm welcome.

My Morris has the name "Betty" on the ..well near the rear Bumper and also under the Bonnet..well hidden low on the bulkhead.

Was thinking about re-naming her after the Grandaughters with an anagram of 2 names.. but maybe like an old Boat ...never change the name ?

Today I bought some oil..20x50 I think it is..stucco ? Similar name ..its still in the daily cars boot, told it also doubles up as gearbox oil 4.5 litres ..not enough to do both jobs but ok for engine oil change, crafty that, along with new stainless steel wiper blades and articulating, in the middle, wiper arms. Made in Taiwan! Metal looks a bit thin..possibly not the best. Air filter, oil filter, a few other bits .. open wallet surgery ! Wheres best outlet for parts? Im keen on buying British or quality parts only.

Thanks for kind words and advice.

All the best .
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

I think ESM is the best place for parts mainly because the website is easy to navigate compared to some others, the guys are super friendly and the prices are good. https://www.morrisminorspares.com/

The first few weeks after buying any new car should mean lots of searching, reading and watching videos before you get to take on the jobs that need doing. No point in rushing it unless it's your only car I suppose.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Where about are you based Zuma ? Sometimes a local supplier who can give friendly advice is helpful. Plenty of suppliers around the country, depending on your location. ESM in Sussex, Charles Ware in Bristol, Minorparts in Oxford, Leadbetters in Lancashire or Tom Roy in Yorkshire. All good suppliers with an online presence or shop.
Zuma
Minor Friendly

Re: Betty ! The Morris Minor. Is the Car familiar to anyone ?

Post by Zuma »

Hi Phil and all, Im South Shields way. Im in and over Carter bar in around an hour or so..always a canny trip out for some clean air

Love the Borders.
Zuma
Minor Friendly

Post by Zuma »

Rocco, thanks for all that advice ..I will use those outlets at some stage for this and that in near future im sure.

Thanks for advice from all. ...And a good safe new year to everyone.
Zuma
Minor Friendly

Post by Zuma »

Rocco, I posted a thankyou to you but cant see it so heres another. Thanks for advice . I will be using those outlets for parts in near future im sure . Happy safe new year to all and you to Rocco. Thanks.
Zuma
Minor Friendly

Post by Zuma »

Bill, thanks for message , very informative. All the very best Sir !
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Hi Zuma
Welcome to Minor ownership.
We kept the name Basil for our car, mainly because it's part of the Registration BaSiL.... :wink:
Today I bought some oil..20x50 I think it is..stucco ?
That confused me when I read it.... :-?
"Stucco" is the American term for the external render you see on American houses, where they make timber construction look like solid walls...
so it's be interesting to learn what you've brought :lol: :lol:

But yes, a 1970 Minor gearbox has 20W/50 the same as the engine. FYI, only the original MM version (1948-53) uses 90EP gear oil in it's gearbox.

You can scrub Charles Ware from the list of parts suppliers that philipkearney posted up; their website is still up, but they went into Liquidation just before Christmas.
Basil the 1955 series II

Zuma
Minor Friendly

Post by Zuma »

Geoberni, thanks for the info on Basil and oil . I will check out the oil ..I'v stuck it in the garage and gave it the wrong name i think ! Got it from Stokesley North Yorkshire area dealer . Good people very knowledgeable and that was just the owners missus ! She knows the Morris Minor inside and out. Bet she could rebuild an engine !

All best..always a good read.
Zuma
Minor Friendly

Post by Zuma »

Ps: Tom Roy.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Yep, being Northern based, I've tended use Tom Roy for spares (even when it was owned and run by Tom Roy originally) and Yvonne and Chris are great. They definitely know Morris's inside out.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Zuma,
A bit late to this post I admit, however welcome to the wonderful world of Morris Minor ownership.
You are now on the long and winding road to complete insanity....... 8)

No, not really, they are great and easy to work on, you will soon pick things up.
My first Minor was a 1963 Trafalgar Blue 2 door, which I named 'Abby' (though the next owner may have changed that), I didn't sign paint her with her name though.
Do you have any pictures of her to share with us?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Zuma
Minor Friendly

Post by Zuma »

Hello Mike, Jagnut 66

Thanks for the message, a friendly read !

I will endeavour to post a few pictures of Betty and maybe some pictures of the odd issue..engine and gearbox seem fine at least as far as compression tests ..good numbers methinks..had the thought ..is it best to take all plugs out or do one at a time on compression tests ?

I done my tests one plug at a time so at anytime there was 3 plugs still in situ locked down as normal..done it that way so I would not get the plug leads mixed up..Good practice or should I have took all plugs out before commencing tests..its been many years from when I last worked on my own car! I used to fit brakes..make brake pipes. olives..bleed brakes suspension etc steering racks etc..used to do it all ..Its not only the car thats rusty !

All the Best Mike .
ps; I thought most of the issues on Betty were cosmetic, she was hiding this and that under her petticoat!

Iv bought a new sill..will get someone to weld it in and the rear sill quarter panel..need to look at rest of floor under the wax oil.im really only worried about the 2 inner wheel arches on the tops where they join the body in the boot..It will all be done but I think it might be a case of open wallet surgery !
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I have a friend who has completely rebuilt a black four door that allot of people thought he should scrap. He's made a lovely job of it and is justly pleased with his work.
Also because of this journey with car he has bonded with it and will probably never part with it.
So Stick with it, so long as the will is there most Moggy's can be resurrected.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)