Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olonas
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Water pump

Post by olonas »

I have attached pictures of two different water pumps. One Quinton Hazell and one supplied by ESM.
On the QH pump the "weep hole" can clearly be seen on the underside, nothing on top.
The ESM pump differs and does have a "weep hole" on the underside but not directly through the casing. There's a hole on top too, why? A different application where that is on the bottom? I can't imagine it's for lubrication because, after dismantling a used pump, the shaft bearing is a sealed unit.
ESM top.jpg
ESM top.jpg (71.71 KiB) Viewed 961 times
ESM bottom.jpg
ESM bottom.jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 961 times
QH top.jpg
QH top.jpg (74.6 KiB) Viewed 961 times
QH bottom.jpg
QH bottom.jpg (87.04 KiB) Viewed 961 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Water pump

Post by philthehill »

I would not be worrying about the holes in the pump body but I would be worrying about the clearance between the rotor blades and the pump body.
I recently had to press the rotor further onto the shaft to get the correct clearance. Too wide a clearance and the efficiency of the pump goes down.
Also I would not use a water pump with a pressed steel rotor as they are prone to rusting away. The cast iron rotor is best.

olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

Thanks Phil. Both have cast iron impellors (allegedly)and the material bears a very close resemblance to CI .
I have seen the pumps with a steel impellor and would not use one.
I was just curious as to why a manufacturer would have a hole drilled on top of the casing unless they had found a liquid which defies gravity.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

No need to buy a replacement pump, just send the old one away for reconditioning as we have to do with the other rare cars. How many water pumps have been thrown away for want of a rebuild.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

On the subject of water pumps, I find a little play in mine when twisting the fan blades. No leaks, but is it on the way out and worth replacing?
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Last edited by JOWETTJAVELIN on Wed May 31, 2023 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

For peace of mind replace the water pump if there is any play in the water pump bearings.
I would not wait for a noisy water pump bearings or coolant leakage to manifest themselves.
With noisy bearings the water pump may fail at the most inopportune moment.
It is cheaper to replace the water pump than have the water pump fail which may lead to a overheated engine.
Most replacement pumps are about £24 pounds which is very much cheaper than undertaking a engine rebuild.
As regards rebuilding a 'A' Series water pump - it is hardly worth the effort of doing it yourself and I would suggest not economic to send the water pump away for rebuilding unless it is of a type currently unavailable off the shelf.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Oh dear, another job to add to a list that seems to be growing at the moment!
Re the gasket, Phil, would you advise just greasing it?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Smear the water pump gasket with general purpose grease.
Use a good quality bypass hose - not the bellows type.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

OK, thanks.
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

"As regards rebuilding a 'A' Series water pump - it is hardly worth the effort of doing it yourself and I would suggest not economic to send the water pump away for rebuilding unless it is of a type currently unavailable off the shelf."
It is a shame that they aren't sold on an exchange basis as many components used to be (some still are). It is, sadly a throw away world now and the cost involved to refurbish/rebuild a pump probably costs more than it's original manufacture.
It would be good if the bearings were "greasable" though, as it used to be.