Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Lockable glove box

Post by MoggyMatilda »

Can you buy locks for the glove boxes? Picked up a wee 69 convertible & would like to be able to lock the passenger glove box. I wouldn’t be putting anything too valuable in it but if I was nipping to the shops would be handy to lock items in it.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Lockable glove box

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Probably have to adapt one from another car.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I just don’t leave anything in the car (except the boot). My 1969 convertible top-up or top-down is about as secure as a wet paper bag.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I understand completely why you want a lockable lid, but unfortunately I can see problems: The lid on that year of car is very flimsy. Even if lockable, a screwdriver would soon distort it. You might deter a casual passer-by, but anyone who wanted to get in would, causing a lot of damage on the process. Anyone with a few minutes clear would be able to undo the screws underneath to remove the hinges and thus the lid.

It would be much easier with the earlier style of more solid lid that sits inside the glovebox opening. (a) it is more substantial and (b) the hinges are covered. It would take a lock that had a tongue or tenon that could engage behind the dashboard.

The biggest problem would be curiosity - what is in that locked compartment? It might be worth a few pence, but someone wanting to find out could cause damage that cost hundreds of pounds to repair.

Have you considered an alarm that sounded if anyone reached into the car?
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Security.
I found myself more concerned with losing the car and preventative methods.
To that end I etched all the windows with the car number plate to ward off cloners. £25.00
Purchased a large disklok, £100.00 visible and time consuming for the tea leaf.
Fitted a battery disconnect £5.00
And I leave the glove box open and empty when parked.
Where angels fear to tread
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

moggiethouable wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:51 am Security.
I found myself more concerned with losing the car and preventative methods.
To that end I etched all the windows with the car number plate to ward off cloners. £25.00
Purchased a large disklok, £100.00 visible and time consuming for the tea leaf.
Fitted a battery disconnect £5.00
And I leave the glove box open and empty when parked.
My windows are all etched too and I second leaving the glove box open and empty to discourage speculation that it contains anything of interest
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Imagine how many jobs and services would not be needed if bad people didn’t exist. I wonder what the original plan was. Where did it all go wrong?

MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by MoggyMatilda »

Thanks for everyone’s opinions. I never even thought that a locked glove box would poke someone’s interest to break in. Now of course I don’t want to be able to lock it to keep extreme valuables in. It’s more so for casual passers by when you’re at the shops with the top down etc… chuck a pair of glasses in it or keep a hat in it 🤷‍♂️

I’m planning to put a battery cut off switch under the dash to kill the ignition when she’s parked up for extended periods unattended.

I have a gps tracker fitted to another vehicle which is great piece of mind in the event of theft so I may well add one to the convertible also.