Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jtd.75
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

springs

Post by jtd.75 »

can anyone tell me were i can get a metal strap that goes around the front section of the rear offside spring on a 1963 saloon. i have tried various out lets all to no avail. I have been told that i will have to buy a spring.
jimmy
Last edited by jtd.75 on Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alec
Minor Legend

RE: springs

Post by Alec »

Hello Jimmy,
if you are referring to the steel strip that wraps around the spring to keep the leaves aligned then there is nothing special about it. It depends on your facilities and capabilities. I think from memory that it is rivetted to the main leaf so you will need to remove and dismantle the spring, grind off the old rivet then fabricate another band from some steel then rivet or bolt it back on.

Alec
jtd.75
Minor Fan

spring

Post by jtd.75 »

Hi Alec yes I am referring to it and thanks I will give it a try and see what happens
bigginger
Minor Maniac

RE: spring

Post by bigginger »

If you're stuck, I've got some old springs outside waiting to go to the coup. They're LCV springs, so may be the wrong size, but I'm sure they're adaptable. I'll have a look later/remove them, and send them if you want tham.
LATER Done it - yes, it's rivetted, and I couldn't see how there would be room for the head of a bolt in between the leaves, so I'd guess you're looking at devising/finding a way to re-rivet it on. Nevertheless, it's off, it's here and if you want it, yelll. It holds 4 leaves, BTW.
jtd.75
Minor Fan

springs

Post by jtd.75 »

Hi Andy not sure what I will do at the moment, I will get back to you and let you know, I am going to ask an old guy that I know who is very good in the forge he was a black smith and can still swing a fair blow with a lump hammer.
Jimmy
bigginger
Minor Maniac

RE: springs

Post by bigginger »

That sounds like the best way to rivet it back on. Good luck.
a