rear seat belts

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
EmmaEaton
MMOC Member: No

rear seat belts

Post by EmmaEaton »

Hi, I have just bought my first Morris minor, after years of looking in awe. She is a 1966 4 door saloon who needs a little TLC. I am thrilled to own her and love driving her about, however I wish to take my two small children in her but of course they require car seats which require seat belts to hold them in secure.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me which type of seat belts I need to ensure my children are SAFE and where to get them?
I have rung around various Morris centres who have all given me different types and price.

PLEASE is there anyone who can help?????

Many thanks

Emma
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

RE: rear seat belts

Post by simmitc »

Congratulations on getting the car.

There is a range of after market seat belts designed to fit many cars, including the Minor. I have purchaased from the Morris Minor Centre in Birmingham, Bull Motif, and ESM; and have always got the same belt kit for the rear. The reel unit is bolted through the rear shelf, which should be re-inforced. ESM sell some plates with the correct nut already welded on. The buckle bolts through the floor under the seat.

The space on the rear shelf is very tight, and you may need to grind away a little to get everything to sit neatly. I'm not aware of any data to show how effective the belts are, but if they are sold as Minor belts, then they must be fit for that purpose. I have always found the webbing to be a bit short; but the instructions in the box are quire clear, and the manufacturer runs a very good help / service office.

There are various front belts available, and doubtless someone will have static rears, but for intertia rears I'd be suprised if the Minor Centres were offering different products. There is a lap belt suitable for adding a third restraint for the person sitting in the centre of the rear seat.

Let's hope you and the children enjoy the car and never need the belts - although I'd agree that it was stupid to not have them, and always use ours.
ColinChandler
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ColinChandler »

Hello Emma and welcome to the band,
I too have used rear belts from the MMC in Birmingham and they are ok. I also added some plates underneath to prevent the bolts pulling through but I made my own. Whilst I was on, I did the same for all the fixing positions just to be on the safe side. I'd agree that space is very tight on the parcel shelf so take your time in positioning them before drilling holes.
Good luck, Colin.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Is it not a legal requirement to have decent plates under all the mountings anyhow? Maybe I've just misunderstood...
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I have the rear seatbelts from the traveller I am breaking. They work fine and are in good nick. You can have them all for £15 +P&P (2 Intertia, lap belt in middle) if you want...
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics