Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Packedup
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

What Can A Metro Donate?

Post by Packedup »

I was offered a 1275 Metro a while ago, and as far as I know it's still mine if I want it. Trouble is I've had a series of car disasters that prevented me picking it up (needs trailering due to terminal rot and no brakes), and now I don't really need it anyway. But I've been wondering, what can be used in a Minor without too many hassles?

I'm thinking seats (it's a 5 door, so front seats for an LCV or 4 door then) and engine parts, but I wondered if anything else was commonly used? Not really worth my time stripping it all down if I can't put the parts to use, but as it's free it'd be a shame to pass on it if it can donate some goodies :)
Onne

Post by Onne »

is it a carb one?
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

Yep, bog standard 1275 A series 5 door Metro. Not sure when I'll be able to arrange going up to do anything to it, or if it's still even there (or on offer to me) though.

Why, any bits you might be after? I'd rather I had first dibs on the bits I take off, but as I don't even have a Minor yet there might be the odd part going in either my spares pile or simply going spare :)
Onne

Post by Onne »

just some choke slips actually.... as you mentioned yourself! Maybe a spare carb, what's on there? HIF38 or 44?
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

I'll keep an eye out for choke clips as I'll be wanting (five times ;) ) as many as I have HiFs spare, and it seems others might want a couple too :)

It'll have a 44 on it I reckon, 38 was fitted to the 998. And personalyl I wouldn't fit a 44 to anything 1098 or smaller unless it was an all top end screamer, better to stick with the 38/ HS4 on a 1098 or smaller, IMO.
Onne

Post by Onne »

I have got the 38, as the 44 would just beto much for the poor little 1098
SR
Minor Addict

Post by SR »

i stripped a metro last week,seat belts,alternator and bits and bobs, ive had a beer so cant think now
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1070767
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

SR wrote:i stripped a metro last week,seat belts,alternator and bits and bobs, ive had a beer so cant think now
I've just polished off a bottle of plonk, so probably no more sensical myself *hic* :oops:

Alternator, yep that's one I'd missed (took the one off mine for my Triumph as it's a higher rated one, but the front bearing is tired). Seat belts, I actually need a pair for my Triumph for the next MOT, forgot about that! Not really helping for Minor stuff though so far! :)

It's the bits and bobs that I can't quite work out - You know, those silly little things you never think about until you find you need one...

And Onne, yes I personally feel a 44 is too much for a 1098. I've driven cars where people have put silly big carbs on thinking it'll make them go faster, and they've been dire. I've been offered a good price on a pair (I have more than 4 cylinders, so twins make sense :) ) of 1 3/4 carbs for my current daily driver, but I just know they're overkill and will rob what little bottom end grunt I've got :(
Onne

Post by Onne »

those silly big carbs may work for top revs, which my car doesn't like in the first place. And I am talking 5000 revs then.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

If you are rescuing the alternator dont forget the bracket at the rear.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

If the head's okay, I could do with one...(Depending on the price...)

[especially if it's unleaded!]
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

Alternator bracket - I thought they were all in the same place, but when I took one off an A+ to fit an alternator to the pickup, I discovered they're not. I'll probably take the whole engine and box anyway, providing I can find somewhere to put it all.

Kate - I'm seriously thinking about breaking my Metro (although it'd be a shame as it's a luxury one with leccy windows, central locking and leatherish seats, just needs brakes and steering... And a DVLA paperwork cockup sorting out that I don't feel like paying for :( ) which does have an unleaded head. I'm reluctant to consider stripping the car just yet, let alone selling on the parts, but if you can think of a price I might be less reluctant (need cash for my Triumphs) :)

The other one is almost certainly not unleaded, but I've been told the engine was a good one blah blah blah. If I can sort out a trailer this week (to put bits in, not the whole car) I'll chase up on that Metro.
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

Heh. I'd love to make an offer for the head, but I'm still [attempting] to [get a break from things breaking long enough to] save for the LCB exhaust for Rebecca (such that she can have the right carb.... especially since I sold the old one to Nikki ages ago, but it's still on my car!) so I think that has to come first...

....unless you were thinking of a really *low* offer ;-/
Pyoor Kate
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

Define low? Although to be honest, I don't think I can let an unleaded 1275 head go for too much under the norm unfortunately, especially as it's still useful to have on the car! :(

When it comes to fitting "the right carb" have you thought about seperating the inlet from the exhaust on the manifold? Takes a bit of time with a hacksaw and grinder, and you'll have to "sacrifice" whichever manifold you don't want (I'm guessing inlet in your case), but it's a cheap way round. I've done it in the past without too many problems, but try it on a spare rather than your only one! :)
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

Define low? Although to be honest, I don't think I can let an unleaded 1275 head go for too much under the norm unfortunately, especially as it's still useful to have on the car!
I dunno, what's normal?

A local place said they could recon and unleadedify my old A series head for 140 quid, so I'm presuming that it's probably in that ballpark.
When it comes to fitting "the right carb" have you thought about seperating the inlet from the exhaust on the manifold? I've done it in the past without too many problems, but try it on a spare rather than your only one!
Yeah, see, I've only got the one correct manifold for the car, and I'm rather loath to destroy it. I did chop one up a standard one a while back, when I tried to use the 'log' manifold as a temporary solution; but then discovered (and this might be a useful factoid) the Log manifold is a different thickness to the standard minor one, which makes fitting it 'difficult' (hence my car still running with standard carb and exhaust).
Pyoor Kate
The Current Fleet:
The Ex-Fleet:
Desires:
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

Crikey, I can't see a s/h unleaded head being worth anywhere near 140! Was thinking more around a third of that, but if it's worth a bit more I'm not really in a position to say no...

I'll keep an eye on Ebay, see what they go for and take it from there if you want? As I say, reluctant to start stripping the car (unless someone can tell me late 80s posh Metros are common as much and have no value...) but I've got the daily driver to sort out for the upcomming MOT, and at least one Triumph to start saving for. If I can get that other Metro engine or at least the head, so mine still runs it's not such a bit deal though.

I can probably find a couple of spare Minor manifolds if you want one (free as I keep tripping over them), but you'd have to collect (from Dorch) or pay silly postage. As for the thickness, I seem to remember using smaller washers that didn't foul on the inlet to bulk the exhaust flange up before fitting the lozengey things. Worked OK for me :) I take it you won't be using the nasty log when you finally change things though?
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

I'll keep an eye on Ebay, see what they go for and take it from there if you want? As I say, reluctant to start stripping the car (unless someone can tell me late 80s posh Metros are common as muck
Yeah, I probably would be interested in that sort of price :-) However, it can wait until you've got another head to keep it on the road. I've got a vague soft-spot for Metros and would think it was a bit sad to pinch the head off a good car... (I've got another 9 bottles of lead replacement to get through anyway!)
I can probably find a couple of spare Minor manifolds if you want one (free as I keep tripping over them)
It's the bit for the Hif44 I need though; sadly. I've loped up another manifold from a scrappy to obtain an exhaust manifold, but I don't want to lop up my Ital LCB manifold.... because I want to use it in one piece! :-)
I take it you won't be using the nasty log when you finally change things though?
Nope :)

That's why I'm struggling on with the standard carb and manifold, because I want to keep the only ital LCB manifold I've got so that when I get a LCB frontsection I can stick together a decent exhaust system and have the nice big carb.
Pyoor Kate
The Current Fleet:
The Ex-Fleet:
Desires:
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

If the remains are going to the tip or breakers you might as well take some of the bulbs, perhaps the gas strut(s) on the tailgate if they fit the bonnet or boot. If you have the space to keep\ it for a while, it can be worthwhile e-baying off light clusters, instrument pod, doors... But be careful to keep it on wheels or you might have trouble getting anyone to take the shell.
Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

One thing to remember with the Metro cylinder head it that it doesn't have a heater tap. It should be quite possible to drill and tap it if you've got a pillar drill and the right size tap. Otherwise you could re-use the Metro sandwich block (and longer studs) under the thermostat housing (oh, and a longer heater hose probably) if you don't mind having the heater matrix on all the time.
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

Well, if I strip mine every last thing is coming off, but before flogginmg anything on Ebay or sticking bits in dark cupboards it'd be handy to have a list of "keepers" ready to put on a Minor :)

The only reason I haven't done anything about the other one is I want to strip every last nut and bolt, so it won't have wheels - Need to sort a trailer for weighing in the chopped up leftovers...