Strange noise from distributor.. Please help.

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alfrednewall
MMOC Member: No

Strange noise from distributor.. Please help.

Post by alfrednewall »

I am having some problems with my distributor. I found last weekend when starting her up, a rather strange grinding noise. Initially i thought it was the starter motor but when listening carefully i realised it was coming from the distributior. Now when the starter is pulled the distributor makes a spinning noise, maybe slighly restricted, but does not fire up the engine at all. Quite worrying, I would appriciate any ideas. Thankyou.
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

Pop off the dissy cap, spin the engine over and see if the rotor arm moves. If it does not move, then pop the dissy out to see what has broken.
alfrednewall

Post by alfrednewall »

it is moving round as i turn the fan round. i can also see the two little contacts touching at the relavent point. Why is it not fireing. Should I take the thing apart? I dont really know what I am looking for.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

When did you last put a spot of oil in the dizzy, are you sure the noise is the dizzy and not the starter, you can try the old trick of holding a screwdiver against the housing to see if the noise is magnified.
Also if you dont know what you are looking at dont try to dismantle a distributor, have you checked if there is a spark or do you not know how to ?
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706