Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
malminor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

crankshaft pulley

Post by malminor »

I am fitting an alternator to a standard 1098, I have taken it and the brackets from a midget 1275 engine (which one day will be fitted)
Can I use the crankshaft pulley from the 1275, it looks a much stronger item than the 1098, and suits the alternator, if I can use it is the thread left or right handed and any advice for getting it off. 1275 is on a trolley. the 1098 is in the car with the front panel removed
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

I don't doubt several people will make suggestions, but I got in 1st!

Knock back the tab washer find a ring spanner the correct size and smack it hard with a lump hammer. It is a normal right hand thread.
It always works for me.

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

smack it hard with a lump hammer.
Or use an air gun on it.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The pulley is in fact a crankshaft damper - and it's a very good idea to use it on a 1098. BMC were being miserable when they didn't fit them to North/South engines - all the East/West 1098s had dampers as standard. Probably best to put a new seal in the timing cover if you are disturbing it and make sure all the pulleys line up.
ImageImage
malminor
Minor Friendly

crankshaft pulley

Post by malminor »

Thanks for the information, I will change the seal at the same time.
Dominic
Minor Addict

Post by Dominic »

I'd suggest that you fit the pulley into the oil seal/timing cover unit before you replace the timing cover. That way, the oil seal will fit around the pulley boss without any stress caused by a slight degree of eccentricity (OK, we must all have that to want to play with Moggies rather than merely drive them! :D )
Finally tighten the timing cover bolts only when it has been centred snugly around the pulley.