MMOC Member: No

Insurance - your input please

Post by Phil-tq »

Who gives the best deals?
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

Aon, Carol Nash, Footman James (Now owns Firebond as well.)
[img]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/Ghostrider117/sig.jpg[/img]
http://www.freewebs.com/moggytech
Axolotl
Minor Fan

Post by Axolotl »

I don't know why, but the best deal I could get was RAC Classic, arranged through Towergate Hall Clarke. AON and the others didn't come close.

RAC Classic also accepted my agreed valuation on the basis of photographs. Some of the others wanted to appoint a valuer to see the car before they'd cover me.

You just have to call as many insurers as you can find. They'll all offer different rates and deals according to your individual circumstances at the time

What's good for one person is the wost deal for someone else.
Cheers, Axolotl.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

HIC will give you the best price.
(08451 290290)

A whole £150 cheaper than the quote I got from the AA on one of their 'classic hardly-use-it' policies

I've no idea what the service is like though - fortunately!
What would Macgyver do..?
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

If you are over 30 and have a clean license, try RH. None of the others came close with their quotes.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

dunketh wrote:HIC will give you the best price.
(08451 290290)

I've no idea what the service is like though - fortunately!
Do insurance companies count as traders on this forum? If so, then the rules prevent me from commenting...

So far I've been very happy with Peter Best. The staff at the Kelvedon branch are always exceedingly helpful and friendly (the branch that handles MGs is, well, more MG like I suppose but still extremely professional), the price is very competitive, and though I didn't claim for my (at fault) shunt they dealt with the paperwork well so far as I know.

They're not so flexible as others for payment schemes, but do accept photos for valuations. The usual windscreen, breakdown and euro cover is included, which would seem to be a good thing just in case...
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

also accepted my agreed valuation on the basis of photographs.
Most companies wont accept photos because they can be altered
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

footman james takes photos for agreed valuation
Furrtiv
Minor Fan

Post by Furrtiv »

That reminds me, I need to get some done for FJ for 'Ector's valuation, when I get him back.
Re-employed!:D
niko-time

Post by niko-time »

Hi, I'll be 17 soon and the Minor will be my first car...has anyone got any advice on how to insure it as cheap as possible? Its a 1956, 949cc
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

948, isn't it? That'll bring the price down :D Only thing to do is ring round the companies given above - nobody here can say who'll give you the best deal, unfortunately. Welcome on board, btw
Last edited by bigginger on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wiglaf
Minor Fan

Post by wiglaf »

RH gave me a very attractive quote last week, much less than I'm paying Aon... would I take it up over the phone please?
I got them to send it in writing so I could check it, and they'd basically not listened to a word I said. The key points were - I do *not* have an immobiliser; I do *not* have another car, this is my main vehicle; I do *not* want an excess of £700; I have *not* been driving 5+ years.

I'm going to follow up these corrections and see what they can offer me, but now as when I first insured the "best deal" need not be the cheapest. Aon's cover, which is discounted for club members, was flexible enough to meet my complex needs at the last year of uni, and offered fuller cover than other insurers would for the same price.
--
Wiglaf
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Most companies wont accept photos because they can be altered
I've used photos for agreed valuation with 4 or 5 different classic insurance companies, so I'd be surprised if that is a big problem. with one car they saved my bacon - the insurance company wanted to void my claim due to modifications (different wheels etc..) but it had all been put in writing to them with photos as evidence.

For young drivers, the club scheme (via AON) is likely to give one of the best deals. The club works hard to make sure that young drivers get a good deal on this scheme. AON also has one of the very best reputations for handling claims.
Aon's cover, which is discounted for club members
It's a club scheme, not a discount.

As for price - if you shop around you can usually find a cheap deal, however insurance is a gamble. If you have a show car, then you may want peace of mind that the repairs will be done to your satisfaction (and can be done DIY if needed) so price is not the only consideration. If you have a rough and ready Minor, then there is less to be gained by choosing a good insurer and price becomes much more of an issue.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I have a policy with AON which has enabled me to teach all 3 children to drive in my car, and now they can drive their own cars using my policy when they come back from Uni during the hols. They also insured eldest son on his own car fully comp (Morris 1000 of course) when he commuted back and forth to Uni each day (£800) p.a.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Vikki
Minor Friendly

Post by Vikki »

doesnt it depend on so many things though? so no one would really be the cheapest it would be different for every one? i tried every where and the cheapest i could get was £300 a year third party, because im only 23 and its my first car so no no claims, i dont have a garage, its will be my everyday car so no limited milage and... i havent actually passed my test yet!
i would say just phone around and try all the comparison websites and haggle like your at a car boot! lol. i got mine down by fifty squid.
[sig]7113[/sig]