Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark485
MMOC Member: No

Looking to by a minor in North Scotland

Post by Mark485 »

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this site who has yet to buy his first minor.

It is my wife that I am looking to buy one for, but am at a bit of a loss as to where to start. I have seen a few advertised on the net but never any locally. (I live in the N of Scotland not far from Inverness). The car would have to be in very good condition as I don't have the knowledge or time to maintain it.

Any advice/help would be appreciated. Even beter if any local minor owners know of one for sale

Thanks

Mark
Timbohan
Minor Friendly

Post by Timbohan »

Hello, you could try the local branch of the MMOC www.sne.morrisminor.com that's how I found mine. In the meantime I'll pass on the details of any I see. Let me know if you are offered a good traveller locally as I'm after one.

Regards.

Tim

There's a van (Peterhead) and a traveller (Inverness) on www.scot-ads.com.
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

Hi Mark, Be patient and like Tim says try to contact the local branch as this might turn something up. This web site is a good start as there is generally lots of advice and knowledge all given freely and good cars are often advertised here. Scotads also has a few for sale.

If you are going to look at a car try to take a someone who knows about these cars with you to give advice. beware of what is underneath as a shiny paint job can hide a lot of rust which = work which if you can't do yourself costs money.

Welcome to the site and good luck in your search. Jeff
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

Sorry, I should have said place a wanted ad in the "wanted" section on this site. What model do you want (Saloon, Van etc), price range, condition, age and anything that's important to you.
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

Just be carefull if you dont know anything about Minors. Buy Ray Newell's book 'The Essential Buyers Guide' and the the Club do a DVD. Even if you dont intend to do any repairs get hold of a workshop manual (not the Haynes one). Practical Classics March 2003 has a buyers guide.
I spent ages looking for my Traveller they were all either basket cases or completely overpriced. Good cars are out their for sensible money if you are patient.
Although I am a more than competent mechanic I couldnt have considered running a Minor without the MMOC and the members who use this site who despite continually being asked stupid questions by me and others are always willing to help
Best of luck
Timbohan
Minor Friendly

Post by Timbohan »

Mark,

There's a saloon for sale in Inverness. It may not be in good enough condition for you, but it might be worth looking at as it will give you an idea of where Minors rust.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1123

Regards,
Tim
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It looks an honest enough car!
ImageImage
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

I am sure the seller is being honest and I know it means nothing but the short MOT had me wondering if a lot of work is required so be sure to get the car up on stands and have a good look underneath. Also try the brakes to see how firm they are and do they stop the car in a straight line. Might also be worth asking the seller to put 12months MOT on the car.

PM me if you want a someone to come with you. I am no expert but had my far share of restoration work this last 15months or so.
Timbohan
Minor Friendly

Post by Timbohan »

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

In would INSIST on a new MOT. But do look at the car carefully - and take up Jeff's offer - he IS an expert! And if you like the car - nothing too desperate - then tell him you will take it - but ONLY with a new MOT.
ImageImage
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

Does this mean that he has only actually just bought it as the sale ended on Oct 14 2009? :-?
Timbohan
Minor Friendly

Post by Timbohan »

Looks like it was sold off ebay.
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

Mmmmmmmm
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm indeed! Well spotted Tim. There may be trubble ahead! Maybe has a genuine reason - worth asking.
ImageImage
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

I hope the seller is genuine and I'll apologise now if they are however I have odours of Buckie harbour (owned car less than a month MOT due in 2 months) no matter how they compliment british engineering :P
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

" odours of Buckie harbour " I like it Jeff! Well - actually I don't - cos I'm a vegetarian :o
ImageImage
millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by millerman »

No Angus steaks then :wink:
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

Go see the car and take Jeff with you. If it seems OK and the price is right make an offer subject to MOT
Timbohan
Minor Friendly

Post by Timbohan »

Mark- Don't know if you've seen this one.

http://aberdeen.gumtree.com/aberdeen/19/48194219.html