Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
youngun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

HS2 rebuild kits

Post by youngun »

Hi all,

I need to rebuild/service the carb on my moggy before putting it back on the rebuilt engine, now my car is a 1957 model with the 948 engine.....ESM kindly sells a kit for HS2 carbs from 1957-1959. One would think that I could simply pluck for that. BUT the engine in mine is a Gold seal replacement, so I have no idea if the carb is a pre or post '59 model! (Ive yet to dig through the service history to see if the engine replacement is detailed or not, theres a lot to root through!).

Any identifying clues or will the engine number divulge the required information?

Thanks,
YG
Ultimate rust cure for your moggy....paint it brown, at least that way you dont notice the rust as much!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: HS2 rebuild kits

Post by bmcecosse »

The carb would not change with the engine - but it could of course have been changed many times over the years. Better to find an HS2 carb - the original for your engine would be an H2. But -why do you want to 'overhaul' it - what's wrong with it at the moment. I have taken HS2 carbs that have been unused for 20+ years = cleaned them and checked the piston can rise and fall - and used them (it was a twin set) without the slightest problem. Don't 'overhaul' the carb if it doesn't need it........
ImageImage
youngun
Minor Addict

Post by youngun »

Well its in pieces in the ultrasound tank at the moment, so it will need new gaskets etc anyway, i might as well renew the jets etc whilst im at it as the full kit is only about a tenner more expensive than the gasket set!

So theres an H2 and an HS2? This is news to me. Are there any easy to tell signs as to which is which?

Thanks,
YG
Ultimate rust cure for your moggy....paint it brown, at least that way you dont notice the rust as much!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The H2 has a fixed float bowl - the HS2 has the float bowl attached on the side of the carb with a little flexi tube running to the jet assembly. The angle of this bowl can be adjusted by buying a different angled spacer (or filing the existing one) if found necessary. It also has a plastic float (H2 is metal - and runs on a little central spindle) which is attached to the lid. The HS2 also has the all important tube on the side to take the breather hose from the rocker cover - to suck away the nasty crankcase fumes. It's by far the better carb.
ImageImage
youngun
Minor Addict

Post by youngun »

Right mines definately an H2 in that case!

I also have an HIF38 lying about, but am a little apprehensive of putting it on. Is it worth it and if so what needle should I be using in it if I am running a standard set up?

Sorry for all the questions!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The HIF 38 is by far the better carb - but too big for a standard 948 I'm afraid. Useful on a standard 1098 though! It would also need a different inlet manifold.
ImageImage
youngun
Minor Addict

Post by youngun »

Ahh righto, ill keep it for when I build a fruitier A-series!

Thanks for your help as ever.