Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chrisryder
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Exhaust Burbling/Farting

Post by chrisryder »

maniflow do a large bore and a small bore system for the minor. large bore is for 1275 only i'd guess, too big to be any benefit on a 1098. some might say the small bore is too much for a standard 1098. I've got a cheaper version on my minor, 1.5 inch bore, and it runs pretty well, bit noisy though!
hanvyj
Minor Fan

Post by hanvyj »

chrisryder wrote:maniflow do a large bore and a small bore system for the minor. large bore is for 1275 only i'd guess, too big to be any benefit on a 1098. some might say the small bore is too much for a standard 1098. I've got a cheaper version on my minor, 1.5 inch bore, and it runs pretty well, bit noisy though!
Hmm, when you say "not any benefit" would it be detrimental? I'm just thinking that I won't want to buy another exhaust in a few years if I upgrade the engine. Though if a larger bore wouldn't provide much benefit for 1275 then I might as well just get a new standard and stick with it...

I can't find the diameter of the Maniflow system. I assume its 1.5 inch
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

i think small bore is 1.5 and large is 1.75. i've tried asking them in the past but had no reply.

i'd say a large bore on a 1098 would be detrimental. 1.5 inch on mine probably looses a bit of power at low rpm as the gas speed will be slow, it's only once the revs increase that the larger bore is less of a restriction to flow, improving things.
hanvyj
Minor Fan

Post by hanvyj »

chrisryder wrote:i think small bore is 1.5 and large is 1.75. i've tried asking them in the past but had no reply.

i'd say a large bore on a 1098 would be detrimental. 1.5 inch on mine probably looses a bit of power at low rpm as the gas speed will be slow, it's only once the revs increase that the larger bore is less of a restriction to flow, improving things.
Thanks, I'll probably avoid until I really have to get a new exhaust, if I do before I get a 1275 I'll stick with the standard
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

this could be a interbranch competition at the national rally,waits to be chastised :D :D
[sig]5641[/sig]
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

i think that's a bit too morris minor related dale... :lol:
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

We did have an underbonnet engine noise competition a few years back, when we had the website rally at the Haynes Motor Museum at Sparkford. Can't remember who won though. I seem to recall my car sprayed a load of water out of a dodgy radiator hose when I revved it a bit too much :lol:
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

hehe. my K&N filter and currently rattly engine could be quite competitive in that field.
Dominic
Minor Addict

Post by Dominic »

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH wrote:Chris, I think my traveller would win!! Its got a £40 stainless exhaust bought from MGM some years ago that is very loud and can fart for Ulster :D
My previous Morris was the same - it had the £40 exhaust from MGM and was very LOUD. The new owner, Bernard, can probably vouch for that - assuming of course that the garage who revived it left the exhaust with the car. It was best going down long narrow downhill roads - preferably with terraced houses both sides to reflect and contain the din - guaranteed to terrify old ladies and cats, and set all the dogs barking!
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

The parping got louder and more tinny sounding when I had my stainless steel exhaust fitted a few years ago! :lol:
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver