Gear box crossmember. 68 Minor 1000.

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Classicsfan
MMOC Member: No

Gear box crossmember. 68 Minor 1000.

Post by Classicsfan »

Hello, need some advice please. I am trying to take the gearbox out. One bolt on each side of the gearbox mount has unscrewed and the other bolt unscrewed a couple of times and then the captive nut let go. I dont want to take the engine out again as I have only just fitted it after having it rebuilt. I fitted a new clutch before I put the engine back in and the clutch was so heavy I could hardly push the clutch pedal down! When I started the engine there was a lot of vibration from the clutch and pedal. I had fitted the clutch plate with the longer spigot facing the gearbox and centralised it. I haven't let the engine hang on the gearbox shaft. Thankyou in anticipation, any help most welcome. I'm fast getting to the land of witsend! Classicsfan, Nottingham.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Gear box crossmember. 68 Minor 1000.

Post by bmcecosse »

You probably need to lift the floor to get at the captive nuts - although you may be able to wedge them somehow from below. It's far easier to pop the engine if you need access to the clutch.
ImageImage
Classicsfan

Post by Classicsfan »

Thanks bmcecosse I think the engine out again maybe the best way.
I had been trying to think of a way to wedge the nuts.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Whatever else you do the gearbox cover needs to come off to access the captive nuts.
Some Plus gas or other penetrating oil will help.
After that mole grips may be enough to squeeze the captive part and the nut enough to undo the bolt.
Don't forget to wind the bolt back in and give it another squirt of oil once in a while.
A screwdriver or cold chisel can be jammed between the inside of the chassis leg and the nut to stop it turning too.

Clean the cover slots very thoroughly and find a screwdriver that is a very good fit, impact drivers often have one if nothing else.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Classicsfan

Post by Classicsfan »

Thanks MarkyB for your help I will go with your advice. I have a decent impact driver
that hasn't had much use.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I wouldn't suggest using a hammer on the impact driver as the screw are brass and normally more sticky than actually tight, use a spanner or some grips to turn it.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

Just cut the bolt head off and punch the left over thread that will be in the captive nut into the chassis rail. When you remove the gearbox support you can the renew the captive nut or fit a rivinut. The captive nut in there now is u/s anyway

Classicsfan

Post by Classicsfan »

Thanks for your help Drivewasher. I found the captive nuts in the chassis legs. The ones under the master cylinder
were a bit awkward. But its ok now.