OPTIONS. WHAT WAS AVAILABLE IN 1954!

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tony H
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

OPTIONS. WHAT WAS AVAILABLE IN 1954!

Post by Tony H »

Hi. I have a '54 Morris Minor SII [gold dash] and I want to try and make/keep it as original as possible but I really need some wing mirrors for driving. [I'm relying on a 'peep' mirror but its not enough!]
Were mirrors an option at the sales point for the buyer [to be fitted at the Morris factory pre delivery or fitted by the vendor workshop post delivery at PDI?] or, not an option and fitted after the sale by the owner? What type of mirrors were available?
Also I know a heater was available as an option but was it again an option to be fitted at the Morris factory pre delivery or fitted by the vendor workshop?
Was there a basic model and a deluxe model available in '54 if so what were the differences? [heater/radio/overriders/clock etc.] And finally, does anyone have a list of options Morris made available to the car buyer at the point of sale?[frame]Image[/frame]

C6Dave
Minor Fan

Re: OPTIONS. WHAT WAS AVAILABLE IN 1954!

Post by C6Dave »

Basic had rexel (vinyl) seat facings and no heater

Deluxe had leather faced seats and a smiths heater as far as I am aware, but I'm sure a Minor 'Nerd' will be along with a definitive answer
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

I think by 1954 all gold dash series II's were delux. This mean't it was fitted with a second sun visor and the heater at the factory. I can't answer about the wing mirrors. Mine when it was purchased in 1986 was fitted with the same single drivers wing mirror that it had in the sixties. It wasn't the round type it has on now, but the square type. I haven't a clue when this was fitted. For info, mine also had one of those big white fog lights on the front.

Someone with a Newels book will probably contradict everything I posted :lol:
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 3&start=15
AFAIR, wing mirrors were a dealer option, never factory fitted.
Hi,
Firstly, beautiful car, shines like a mirror.
Secondly, I had a look at this post (link above) and it seems to confirm what I thought but others might know better.
However, as they were an option, albeit after-market, I'm sure you'll find a suitable pair.
I believe Bull Motif, ESM, Morris Minor Centre Birmingham, etc will be able to help and there's always eBay.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Hi there

in 1954 there was the option for deluxe or standard spec, (deluxe having leather seat facings, heater and passenger sun visor etc) From the factory. As a dealer option, wing mirrors could have be ordered, an HMV radio as well as a whole host of aftermarket accessories. Im going to fit a diverside wing mirror to the front wing of my 54, but not the passengerside, its original wing and you could specify if you only wanted 1 mirror fitted. (cheaper option)

brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

pick up a copy of Original Morris Minor via e bay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Morr ... 20ccdfda92

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Morr ... 2c68b5edd6

Worth having to ensure originality - list of original S2 accessories included on P54

Good luck :D

Tony H
Minor Friendly

Post by Tony H »

brucek wrote:pick up a copy of Original Morris Minor via e bay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Morr ... 20ccdfda92

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Morr ... 2c68b5edd6

Worth having to ensure originality - list of original S2 accessories included on P54

Good luck :D
Thanks Brucek...Just got my 'Original Morris Minor' book today...looks like it will be a great help. I already have some answers, mirrors were a dealer option [I've ordered a set off 'da bay']. Heater is a bit more complicated, a Smiths heater was a Morris factory pre delivery option on the basic model and standard fitting on the deluxe model [although not on deluxe export models to hot countries!] I need to read the book re basic/deluxe etc.
Now mirror position! I have been told it is 7" from the headlamp rim so that is where they will go unless I am persuaded otherwise.

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Don't know if this also applied to Series II's but on the Series MM a passenger screen wiper was an optional extra.