Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ET_in_black
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Advice wanted on Bulkhead Sound Proofing

Post by ET_in_black »

Hi All - Wondering if anyone can give me some advice on sound-proofing the bulkhead.

One of my next projects is to smooth out the engine bay.
Currently it looks like this:

And I plan to make it look something like this: (hope the Beardmore Bros don't mind me stealing a picture from their website):

What I'm wondering is - is it worth fitting any sound proofing between the existing bulkhead and the new smooth panel before I weld it in place?
Can anyone recommend any sound-proofing product that I might use?
Or has anyone got any other advice?

Thanks,
Ed.
[sig]9336[/sig]
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Advice wanted on Bulkhead Sound Proofing

Post by ian.mcdougall »

I would say that they cut out the original bulkhead and welded in a flat sheet to replace it, and with a large flat area like that it might have a tendency to vibrate, so would need sound deadner pads fitted inside the bulkhead

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I would think the same, ( and it would look better) although I suppose it could be argued that leaving most of the original in place would give more strength. (but add weight) In which case some material in between the two panels would reduce any tendency to vibrate. However the recess around the bulkhead may disappear if the original is left in place. I doubt if the one in the picture has covered the original, more likely a complete replacement.

Innovator
Minor Fan

Post by Innovator »

We used to leave most of the original bulkhead in position and just put a new sheet over the top.

The first ones were bonded on with filler and the inner wing plus the throttle cable holder kept it in place. Welding was avided as Robin wanted to avoid distortion.

I would now recommend Sikaflex to bond it on.

John
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I didn't somehow think you would have gone for double skins on your projects!

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Some thick bituminous underseal would give a period look and help reduce noise, and wouldn't be much of a bother for future rust as this area never gets wet. Check if you have the underlay beneath the carpets also, you'd be surprised at the difference this makes to noise levels.
ratrodmog
Minor Fan

Post by ratrodmog »

I have a smooth bulkhead on my project at the moment. I cut out the original panel and made up a single flat sheet to weld in place. I also added some supporting bars vertically and horizontally behined the panel to add support. See the pics in my thread on the other side http://morrisminorowners.co.uk/ftopic6485-0-asc-0.php
I will be using this material behined the bulkhead http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290643812702? ... 1423.l2649
Bash's Speed Shop