Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
welshrat
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

The price of eggs?

Post by welshrat »

Is it just me or has the price of minors gone up recently. It may well be that I am fast approaching fifty and can remember being able to buy a reasonable moggy for £50, however I do think there has been a significant price increase over the last twelve months. It seems that the days of finding a fairly good one for a reasonable price have gone as the basket cases seem to be selling for silly money.

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: The price of eggs?

Post by MarkyB »

I would say that's true.
Some of it may be driven by lousy interest rates, investing in something you enjoy owning makes more sense than letting the money get deprecated in the bank.
It used to be limited to Ferraris and the like but not everyone can afford them!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
AntB
Minor Fan

Post by AntB »

there are also far fewer of them around than there were, say 20 years ago.

look at what has happened to the Marina. i remember someone in the trade suggesting i buy one in the 90s for £20 as a scrapper and cannibalise it over time.

you can't even get a Marina for £20 now!
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

The price of scrap metal affects the bottom end of the market, my branch used to get offered rough Minors for nothing except wanting them to go to a good home.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

The prices of classic cars were fine and would always have naturally increased over time (as does the cost of everything), along with the increasing rarity of some cars.
But then a few years back along came the speculators and investors, whose only interest was (and still is) fat profits.................... :evil:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The availability of reasonably priced insurance for young drivers means the cars are popular 'first' cars............
ImageImage
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

you can take a driving test in a moggie as long as you have head restraints fitted e.g. modern seats
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
JPX877J
Minor Fan

Post by JPX877J »

bmcecosse wrote:The availability of reasonably priced insurance for young drivers means the cars are popular 'first' cars............
I can agree with that :D :D (Even though I have wanted a Moggy for a long while anyway)
wickermonkey
Minor Friendly

Post by wickermonkey »

I'd say aswell its due to the rise in price of other classics that push people into looking for other marques. But scrap prices definatly have a very big influance, just in pure scrap value a minor is worth around £300 plus breaking for spares you might get a couple hundred more. It'll only rise to the point at which people stop buying them then they will start to fall again, look at the vw camper vans, they were silly prices for what was essentially rust, you can buy a running restoration project now for the same money
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

How about this one then for a well OTT price!?!

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C357447
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I bought my first Minor for £50 (and a few since) and am only just over 40....

Yes they've gone up in price (at last) but compared to beetles etc.. they still lag a bit.
The price in the US was more than double the UK about 10 years ago - I think we've caught up a bit since then but still cheap by comparison to some classics.

Marina? Mine cost way more than £50 and of course needs a lot of work but I wouldn't part with it! (1971 Suntour, currently none left on the road that are tax exempt..)
The post 72 Marinas are becoming very rare as you can buy another classic and save £210 per year on road tax, so why buy a mid 70's Marina? Many of the 1.3's have been Scrapped & stripped for parts (e.g. Minor engines) and the 1.8 etc.. are bad on fuel so who can afford that too? :(
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

A few issues are cropping up here. Firstly, classics being bought by 'investors'. Let's not forget that for a car to be kept in good condition it needs regular use and servicing, plus garaging, all of which cost money. I very much doubt that someone buying a classic as an 'investment' will be out there filing the points &c. as a true enthusiast would. So I think owners such as us will have the last laugh.

Secondly, Minors have always been popular first cars and student transport. There were at least four pottering round the University I attended. No surprise there.

Thirdly, it is morally questionable, nowadays, to break a fair condition Marina, the youngest of which are 30 years old, to upgrade a Minor.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I have to plead guilty to having a ex- Marina (1978) 1300 cc engine in a crate in my lock-up, it was only £75 and it turns freely.
In my defence I wasn't the person who actually broke the car, it came out of a car that was going to be banger raced............... well he attempted to banger race it anyway............
Fortunately for the me, as I'd agreed to take then engine before the race (but he wouldn't be removing it until after :o and I must admit I was concerned he'd thrash the life out of it before I got hold of it), the gearbox threw a wobbly half way through the first lap (jumping out of gear) and he had to withdraw.................. result!! :P (As far as I was concerned anyway, he was less than happy..........)
The engine came with the rebellious gearbox attached (for free), which I happily sold on eBay (as an item in need of repair).......... result number two!! :D

As a post script, my first car was a Brunswick green Marina 1.3, MBY 601P. I sold it may years ago and by now it has probably gone to the great car park in the sky......... I too have warmed to them, as time has gone by.............
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Thirdly, it is morally questionable, nowadays, to break a fair condition Marina, the youngest of which are 30 years old, to upgrade a Minor
Minor vans were good work horses in their time. At the time it seemed immoral to waste such a good resource by keeping it stuck in a garage.. (e.g. a retired GPO van with a 2nd owner)
When the 3rd or 4th owners got tired of repairing their workhorse, nobody thought twice of scrapping them.
Eventually they became rare and the previously emprisoned Vans became highly sought after and the new found ££££ value means that many basket cases get repaired/restored/cherished.

The morality of scrapping an unwanted car that has some desirable parts? I would say that's more an issue for today's disposable society than classic car users.

So far, Marina's are becoming very rare, but this still does not drive up the price of a post 72 car. If anyone wants to save one, there's still no shortage of cars for sale. In 10 years time they may be as rare as a 1970's Alfa but I still doubt they'll command the same price..
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

yea a lot of good ideas here
would be good to stop the throw away brigade