Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
C.J.
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Classic car magnetism?

Post by C.J. »

Had another incident nearer home last night, when a dual carriageway ended, and this old Hyundai Amica just HAD to get past me before it reverted to two lanes again.
Came within a whisker of taking my front bumper off as he swerved in front of me.
I wasn't racing him (as if anyway :lol: ) or even trying to keep him behind me, just maintaining my steady 55 mph, but no, he just had to get past at ANY cost. :roll:

Gained approx 5 seconds on me before he turned off onto the motorway.
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Sadly it happens in moderns also :( I have a 340 bhp Subaru impreza and get people mainly corsa,s and civics doing it but when I am at the lights always put the reversing lights on just makes them think :evil:
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

irmscher wrote:Sadly it happens in moderns also :( I have a 340 bhp Subaru impreza and get people mainly corsa,s and civics doing it but when I am at the lights always put the reversing lights on just makes them think :evil:

I'll remember that one now! :P
AntB
Minor Fan

Post by AntB »

C.J. wrote:Why oh why oh why do following cars HAVE to drive right on your bumper when you are driving a classsic? :-?
Absolutely sick of it. :x
all cars ever? every single car? all cars that are behind you?

i think probably not.

first world problem?*

*if you are wondering what one of these is, here's an example:

edit: other cars in the household include:

Nissan Figaro
Ford Focus
MG ZT-T 260

all of which i have experienced tailgating in. i just pull over and let people get on their way. i have other things to expend my energy on.
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

Where did I actually say ALL cars? :-?
ajay
Minor Friendly

Post by ajay »

I had this happen to me very recently (yes it even happens in NZ) In a 50 Km area a porsche was so close behind I could not see anything of him apart from his windscreen so I did what has been suggested and pulled over and let him pass then when he stopped at the next lot of lights I moved up to about 20cm from his bumper. Even though the lights were not green he kept moving forward with me just keeping the same distance. Just as the lights changed I yelled out "It doesn't feel so good now does it?"

Very childish but what the heck it was fun while it lasted :evil:
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

You didn't :lol:
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

I once saw a sign in the back of a car which could slove this.it read This car has a habit of slowing down the closer you get,if you can read this you are now doing 15 mph :D :D
AntB
Minor Fan

Post by AntB »

C.J. wrote:Where did I actually say ALL cars? :-?
so by cars that are following you, i assume that you don't therefore mean everyone who is behind you, but a small minority who choose to tailgate?

so your car isn't attracting a majority?

so your point is?
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

AntB wrote:
C.J. wrote:Where did I actually say ALL cars? :-?
so by cars that are following you, i assume that you don't therefore mean everyone who is behind you, but a small minority who choose to tailgate?

so your car isn't attracting a majority?

so your point is?

Your assumption is correct.
My car (daughters actually, let's get it precise now Mr Pedantic) is NOT attracting the majority.
Where precisely have I stated that it was OR is?

Tell you what, I'll keep a note next time I'm out in it, and at the end of the journey I'll work out a percentage of incidents to the nearest decimal point for you, ok?

Btw, what actually is YOUR point? :roll:
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

irmscher wrote:You didn't :lol:

Cheers!
Saved me a trip to Specsavers then!! :lol:
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Probably not advisable in a Morris but I have agood trick in my Landrover, when the BMW / Audi is hanging 2 feet of the back bumper drive straight through the biggest pot hole you can find (plenty to choose from around here), they don't even see it they are so close, no problem for the big bouncy landy tyres but they soon leave a gap after their 40 profile carlos fandangos have gone through it.

kevin
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

If you don't mind losing exhaust baffles...

Get up to speed and with the throttle closed switch off the engine for a few seconds (you won't lose much speed) then switch on again... huge backfire which will make them move back :lol:

In the transit I have a tailgate with a tinted rear window (with bin bags taped over the inside) so I can't see people tailgating behind me :lol:
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

I had trouble following a tourist-speed big-engine classic Merc convertible last week (don't ask for the details, I couldn't tell you other than it was red, he drove slowly & she was blond). They were somewhat suprised when a half-timbered brick shot past them at the first available straight :lol: