Re: Worst accessory ever made and advertised on Ebay

Post by irmscher »

I wonder who bought them :oops:
Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Chipper »

My saloon came without a rear view mirror, so I bought a suction type one from E-bay, similar to this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-VIEW-INT ... 5d30b98695

It turned out to be pretty feeble; it would vibrate while driving along so you couldn't ever get a clear view, and the mirror kept drooping down in its ball socket, so you'd be constantly having to re-adjust it. Lame! :lol:
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Boomlander »

bmcecosse wrote:These are awesome ! Ideal - along with silly spotlamps/sunshade/multiple badges and razor sharp headlamp peaks!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:
Like these??.... :wink:[frame]Image[/frame]

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Dear oh dear..... :roll: Beautiful car - spoiled by the tat in my view....... But each to their own I suppose - it wouldn't do if we were all the same !
ImageImage
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Looks a really nice car. I like the bonnet mascot, very grand! :lol: Sorry.... :D
Only thing i can spot is that a proper early bumper blade has the mounting holes for the overiders a bit closer together, so they don't line up with the side lights, but if you had one of those there wouldn't be as much room for your foglights. And they're not available new anyway as far as I know. My Series 2 has a Minor 1000 type blade on too but I don't have overiders (not even rubber ones) on that car.

Setting myself up for comments as if I hadn't done already by admitting to liking and using a pair of rubber overiders, my Series 2 was one of the most adorned cars I've ever encountered when I bought it. A lot of what I've done to it since has been to tone it down a bit and remove some of the excesses...
It still has a badge bar, actually the old one got pinched between being photographed for the auction catalogue and it appearing in the auction, but it seemed the easiest way to fill the holes in the bumper valence was to replace it. Wearing a League of Safe Drivers badge and an RAC Motorsports Member badge in this pic but I change them when the whim strikes me....
The foglights are Lucas surface mount ones fitted where the sidelights should be (now in headlights). I keep getting asked if I would sell them as Mini folk seem to want them to mount on the boot lid as reversing lights - '60s Monte Carlo style, but they've been on the car so long now they can stay. Lights below the bumper are indicators, since replaced with smaller more discrete ones.
Streamlined bezels round the wing mirror stalks (a candidate for the subject of this thread perhaps?) - pretty useless but its always had them and it looked odd without when I replaced the wings recently....
Ribbed aluminium strip along the sills - again a bit of random styling. Personally I think it looks better than just fitting stainless sill finishers which visually break up the lines of the car (unless a traveller where the wood does that anyway). If I took them off, I'd have to weld up the screw holes in the wings, body side and sill finishers, so they stay on that account at least!
It also has a strange chrome boot rack, quite old and bolted directly through the boot lid - not a Paddy Hopkirk style clamp on job. Never seen another one like it and removing it would leave six holes to weld up and it does see active use from time to time such as a gearbox and a pair of Land Rover tyres (not at the same time!).
I took the extra wheel trims off when I restored a set of Series 2 rims for it, though they were good for hiding the odd coloured set of wheels it had previously...

[frame]Image[/frame]
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

What a great looking little car! :D :D

Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

bmcecosse wrote:Dear oh dear..... :roll: Beautiful car - spoiled by the tat in my view....... But each to their own I suppose - it wouldn't do if we were all the same !
Got a photo of your's Roy? :D

Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

As you can see Jethro was a bit plain looking when I first saw him.
Mostly original - he had been restored using later parts and fittings so was never going to be a concourse candidate so I thought I might as well brighten him up a bit with a few (not so cheap) accessories, and it worked. Every time we take him out whether to a show or shopping at Tescos he always gets a smile and compliments from everyone who sees him and that's what it's all about as far as I'm concerned - keeping these old buses on the road and having a bit of fun at the same time.....Lovely!! :D :D[frame]Image[/frame]

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Indeed, well said. Cars of this era were very basic and once you had your car a whole world of extras opened up to personalise and improve it. Some good, some not so good, its all down to personal taste and desires.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

IaininTenbury wrote:Look! Rubber overiders - proved to be indestructable! :lol: [frame]Image[/frame]
I do like how it's 'eaten' the Corsa's number plate and left some on the bumper... :lol:

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b