Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dalgrae
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Radiator fan shield

Post by dalgrae »

Help please the angled steel shield at the top of the radiator that protects you from the fan when the engine is running has parted company with the radiator,looking at the mating face there is notmuch left of any solder witness but some black silicon and some black hard glue I think.There is some sign of solder on the radiator mating face,it will not be possible to resolder it back on so it will have to be glued,silicon will take the temperature but does anyone have a better suggestion please
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Re: Radiator fan shield

Post by M25VAN »

Will it matter if it is not there? A pair of brackets to extend it round and fix to the top radiator mounting holes? there must be an adhesive that will take the heat and glue it back but depends on the surfaces as you don't want it dropping off.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

it would need to be on there pretty good as if it came off whilst motoring it would certainly hit the blades and possibly in the rad
i would be inclined to leave it off and or get another rad when money permits
dalgrae
Minor Fan

Post by dalgrae »

Thanks for the advice I tend to agree about leaving it off but I also think I will renew the yellow paint as more of a reminder on the fan blade so as I don't get too close to the rotating fan blade
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

2nd vote for NOT 'sticking' it on - someone has already bodged it on there...and as above -if it falls into the fan it WILL mash the radiator - and perhaps even come up through the bonnet........ :o It won't affect the cooling - it's just there to keep your fingers attached to your hand...... Perhaps a good time to consider fitting an electric fan.......... :wink:
ImageImage