Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
benb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Help wanted finding details of splitscreen traveller

Post by benb »

Hello,

I am doing a restoration on my father's 1955/56 Traveller it is a splitscreen large centre speedo model. He has owned the car for 10-12 years and purchased it locally we believe he had bought the car from Tasmania but before that we have no idea.

What we would like to know if possible is when the car was first registered and last registered and it's original colour and any other details that may exist.

the Chassis# Z.18960 there is also another number listed 16832 were not sure what this is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Ben
Image Image
taupe
Minor Legend

Re: Help wanted finding details of splitscreen traveller

Post by taupe »

Hi

The numbers you have given are the car body numbers. You will need to find the car Number which should be on a morris motors plate just above the voltage regulator on the engine bulkhead.

If the plate is missing, the number is normally stamped directly on to the metal bulkhead just below where the throttle cable comes through.

Once you have this number an application to British Motor Heritage at Gaydon for a dating certificte may provide full details of your car. It will certainly help when it comes to registration though you may not be able to find the original registration or it may not have been registered in the uk so you will need to apply for first registration.

Taupe
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

Hi Ben,
Good luck with your restoration! I have a 1956 split screen traveller, if you need any close up shots or any info just let me know, mine still has all he original inside trim and some of the original woodwork,
It would be great to see some photos as you get started,
Phil
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
benb
Minor Friendly

Post by benb »

Hello Phil,

The Traveller is nearly finished just a few fiddly bits fit wiring loom,interior,windscreen and repair rear doors. The car is still registered so it wasnt a complete wreck.

i seem to be having problems posting pictures i will keep trying.

Thank's for the reply

Ben
Image Image
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

Good luck with the windscreen! Make sure you have 3 helpers,2 inside and 2 out, as it is tricky! Lots of sealent. Check out the advice on the forum. Looking forward to the photos, is any of your woodwork original? Cheers Phil
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
benb
Minor Friendly

Post by benb »

Thank's. My wife and i did the windscreen on our lowlight and it doesnt leek, so finger's crossed for the second car.All the woodwork is original my dad has sanded and revarnished it.

Thank's again
Ben :D
Image Image
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

Being a bit of a nerd, have a look in the rear and either side there is a cut off triangular piece of wood above the rear wheel arch, the rear arm rest is screwed to it. These were only fitted to series 11 travellers and most people who replace the woodwork seem to forget to put them back! Has yours got them, all the ones I have seen with the original wood they are in place. Looking forward to photos, what colour is yours?
Phil
Thanks for the messages about mine! :D
benb
Minor Friendly

Post by benb »

Dad's car is the only series 2 traveller we have seen and it has no arm rest in the back, dont know what original colour is we have resprayed it in the same colour it was .

some photo's
Before

During

Image Image
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

Great photos! You must be very pleased she looks great! I bet you can't wait to be driving in her soon, or is she a he??? Phil :D
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

Hi Ben,
since contacting you a while back, I am now hold the register for the series 2 travellers, did you have any luck finding out the chassis number, should be on a plate to the left of the battery stamped something like FLE11/ 365677. If you can find this I will see if it is on the register! Would be great to have your email so I can keep all of the series 2 traveller owners in touch with each other!
Phil
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Looking at the photo posted the chassis plate is visible on the top right-hand ( sitting in car facing front ) bulkhead
Great job there benb