Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
grantstew8
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Help with crossed threads - hub nut

Post by grantstew8 »

As the first part of the restoration project, the nearside rear brakes were drenched in oil. It turns out the rear hub did not have a seal or a gasket. The hub was loose, moving very slightly; the other side was solid. I assumed it was a bad bearing but is seems the hub nut was not tight enough. The hub nut was in bad shape having been attacked in a past life by a chisel or something similar.

After removing the nut (with a monkey wrench), hub and bearing, it appears the threads have been crossed. The video shows the threads on the hub and shows what I'm talking about. https://youtu.be/YOAfFi35Fyg

I'll order a new hub nut and bearing kit. If the hub nut can't be tightened enough, what are my options?
Any radical ideas/ bush mechanic type ideas are also welcome. :D

Thanks
Grant
"To begin, begin" William Wordsworth.
Build blog https://boristhemorris.wordpress.com/
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Help with crossed threads - hub nut

Post by philthehill »

Having looked at the video my first impressions are that the axle tube is scrap :(
You could with thread chaser clean the threads and try a new nut but those threads are chewed.
The big problem is that that nut hub holds the hub/wheel assy in place and if it came off you could loose the hub and wheel assy and you could end up having an accident which may involve others and not just yourself.
I would err on the side of caution and replace the axle casing.
What ever you do is i.e. thread reclamation it is going to cost you money and it may be easier and cheaper to get another axle casing.

Here is a starter for 10 and cheap too and includes hubs as well :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR- ... 463e1ec755

There are several others on 'e' bay as well so you do have a choice.

grantstew8
Minor Friendly

Post by grantstew8 »

Dear Phil
Thanks for the prompt reply
I suspected that would be my only choice....Damn...but you're right, losing a wheel is not a great idea.... :D
As it happens I have another complete axle "on the shelf" that I'll inspect and use if I can.

Let that be lesson to those putting on a hub nut, crossing hub threads is an expensive mistake!

Grant
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you have a spare axle - it's a no-brainer! Remember the LH side has a LH thread.......
ImageImage
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

I agree with the above, I think they are beyond saving bearing in mind the safety nature involved. If it had been one thread with a little damage you could have perhaps saved it, but they look wrecked.

Wonder how on earth someone managed that, you never start a thread with tools or force if you dont have to.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The problem is that not all home mechanics (using the term loosely) know what they are doing.
The rear hub nut threads are quite fine and it is relatively easy to cross thread them - if it will not go on with normal finger pressure something is wrong - it is no good mechanically (i.e. using a breaker bar) forcing it further. Remove the nut and find out why it will not go.

Check twice and fit once. :D

grantstew8
Minor Friendly

Post by grantstew8 »

This issue is not limited to Morris Minors; the hub nut on the Land Rover I've just refurbed looked like it had been attacked by a shark.
On a LR should it be cross threaded, it is possible to replace the hub (shown below) rather than replace the whole axle, which makes sense given the bearing could damage the axle as well, (and often do)

I'm enjoying the differences :wink:

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As regards the Land Rover - yes it is possible to replace the stub axle (Pt No: 599826 (with distance piece) or 599827 (without distance piece).
Cross threaded NO, NO, NO - the hub nut should screw on easily with finger pressure
I have the Land Rover parts list and attached is a picture of the swivel/stub axle.
One of my early car transporting trailers used Land Rover stub axles fitted to a fabricated axle.
I currently have a Series 3 Air Portable which is for sale if any one is interested.[frame]Image[/frame]