Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
james.ed
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Stuck Gear Sump Plug

Post by james.ed »

Hi all,

The gear box sump plug is well and truly stuck, and the nuts become fairly rounded so grips becoming difficult. My last resort attempt will be tonight - I have borrow one of the those special spanners which will clamp the nut and dig its teeth in (sorry - completely forgotten the technical term), and to replace I have a new sump drain plug with nice sharp corners. I have no idea why its so stuck, perhaps i put it on during a hot spell and its cooled into place?

Before diving in, can anyone suggest any tips for getting the little blighter to loosen the little blighter up. Also, just to check, if i'm under my car with my feet out the front and i'm looking up at the plug, I turn it clockwise (its so stuck i've started to doubt myself). I'm also now getting paranoid that it i apply to much pressure i'll crack the gear box casing (can this happen). If anyone thinks i should just get a garage to drill it for any reason, i'll go down that route. Drilling is cheaper than a new gearbox!

Thanks for all your help,

James
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: Stuck Gear Sump Plug

Post by MarkyB »

If you are looking at the plug it needs to go anti clockwise, may explain the problem.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
james.ed
Minor Fan

Post by james.ed »

hmm.. if only. I mean't to say anti-clockwise. Thats what i've been trying. I think the nuts just had it!
moggiethouable
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by moggiethouable »

Give the threads a soak with WD40, tap it with a hammer to shock the threads and use a pair of stillsons.Drilling it and collapsing the thread or trying easy outs seems a bit OTT but if all else fails............all the best with that one.
Where angels fear to tread
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello James,

I'll second the Stillsons, the harder you pull the tighter they grip but you will need your new plug as the old one will be butchered. WD 40 is not as good as Plus Gas as a releasing fluid, although wouldn't bother with either in this instance.
If necessary use a bit of pipe on the Stillsons handle, it will come out.
The plug is a tapered thread that is why they are hard to undo. I usually weld a nut to the end of the plug so I can use a normal spanner.

Alec
james.ed
Minor Fan

Post by james.ed »

Well the stetson tighten, but I just can't get the grip and without getting the car on ramps it's a no hoper. I've sadly given up and booked her into a garage. Hopefully once on the ramps its an easy job. New sump plug is on stand by! Thanks for all the help through.
Boris64
Minor Fan

Post by Boris64 »

Stilsons and 1m steel pipe did the job for me and the drain plug is still useable :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

No point in release oil etc - it's soaking in oil - it's a sump plug! Seems to me you have been tightening it - instead of loosening it........ Get on it with the stillsons.... Or - whip the prop shaft off - the oil will run out quickly enough.....
ImageImage
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Sharp tap with hammer :wink: or use a cold chisel and buy a new one
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

A little gentle heat from careful use of a blow lamp might help, but don't overdo it as you don't want to burn oil, nor melt any seals - there shouldn't be any in the immediate area of the plug, but it would be easy to get carried away.
grantstew8
Minor Friendly

Post by grantstew8 »

When trying to remove the sump plug, it split. After a short while or trying one thing or another, one section broke off, leaving three sides of the sump plug for me to work with.
This is a short video showing what I did. It's not particularly elegant but it worked. I think the heat helped...
https://youtu.be/YtL3z5_Y7O4
I've used a similar method to remove sheared off bolts.
https://youtu.be/xGEaCe9gyJ0

It may be a tad awkward (and hot) when working under the car, but do-able. :D
"To begin, begin" William Wordsworth.
Build blog https://boristhemorris.wordpress.com/
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

[quote="james.ed"]Well the stetson tighten, .[/quote

Never tried using a hat before :)
[sig]3580[/sig]