Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Childnurse
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Indicators

Post by Childnurse »

Right then. Having finally got the engine started and the car (1971 Traveller) to move under its own power for the first time in three years, I can now start looking at all the other little things that need doing.

I am trying to get the indicators to work now, but there is no life at all in them. Interestingly, the Haynes manual states that "The actual flasher unit is enclosed in a small cylindrical metal container in the engine compartment."

Is it really.

Well, I've spent a considerable amount of my time under the bonnet with my head deep in the engine compartment, and I can confirm that no such thing exists. Which of course, may be why the indicators don't work.

I have been given a General Motors (Vauxhall) 12v flasher unit - not brand new, but never been out of the box - so is there any reason why I couldn't use it on my Traveller. It has three terminals, numbered 31, 49 and 49a.

Just wondering... seems a shame not to use it.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Indicators

Post by bmcecosse »

Don't see why not - are the cables there? Initially I suggest joing all 3 cables together temporarily - and try the switch both ways to see if the lights all work - not flashing, obviously.... Once they all work - then connect the flasher can and all should be well.
ImageImage
andy.pointeer
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by andy.pointeer »

Hi see photo for the location of my flasher unit on 66 Traveller, assume they are all at this location
[frame]Image[/frame]
Hope this helps
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Not all in that place as my 63 4 door has it in a spring clip in the engine bay under the offside wing.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

All the later ones I've seen are on the bulkhead as pictured. A 1963 car is different being equipped the DB10 relay box which uses the brake lights as the rear indicators. This too is mounted on the inner wing.
Perhaps the OP's car has been altered in some way - to fit hazard lights perhaps? - and has a different flasher unit inside the car?
As mentioned above - are the three wires in place as in the picture?
Childnurse
Minor Friendly

Post by Childnurse »

Thanks for all the info, and the photo. I've just been out to the garage and checked again, and there is definitely nothing like that on or in the car; I've taken the glove box liners out and also had a rummage behind the speedo, too. I will therefore go ahead and use the Vauxhall part as I have some steel strip lying about from which I can make up a suitable bracket. All the wiring appears to be there, so I will join them together to see what happens - thanks for the tip bmcecosse.

I suspect that the original flasher unit was removed by the so-called restorer that the car went to in 2013 - it came back with considerably fewer parts than it went down there with, including bits of the engine. I think he used ours as a donor for other cars. Anyway, that's water under the bridge now. I'll let you know what happens with the indicators.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

So the 3 wires are there - somewhere?
ImageImage
Childnurse
Minor Friendly

Post by Childnurse »

Well, quite a successful Sunday!

I found the three wires and connected up the GM Vauxhall flasher unit. After trying various combinations of connection (three wires, three prongs on the unit), lo! It came to pass that the indicators did'st work! Let there be light (someone said) and there was light. And (someone) looked upon the light and saw that it was good.

Mostly.... cannot get the rear nearside to work, whilst the front nearside is flashing away like a strobe light, but it can only be a bad connection somewhere, or the bulb has failed.

I also got the horn working, the needle on fuel gauge is at last actually doing more than being decorative, and the exhaust pipe is properly sealed, so the car finally sounds like a proper Minor!

Now, if I could get the brakes to even vaguely work....
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Looks like possible crossed wires front to rear ? And perhaps some bulbs failed or badly earthed.
ImageImage
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

The rear nearside lights are "at the end of the line " furthest from the battery. I'd home in on the "extension " across the
back of the boot floor. As you've stated there's always the bulb itself to check out first.
Remove and clean the bullet connectors thoroughly back to clean metal. On the main loom , check you've got battery voltage
when operating the left hand side indicator.You may need to replace the double bullet connector if it is too corroded. Put the wire , with the cleaned up bullet , back in. Check if working now ? Check power at the light unit and a decent earth to the body , in the depths of the nearside boot floor !
Well done with the progress so far.
Bob
Childnurse
Minor Friendly

Post by Childnurse »

Thank you Mogbob. I did all that, checked the bulb visually and on a meter - all good. Battery voltage present. Cleaned up all the terminals and connections and hey presto, everything worked. Went back to it a week later.... and nothing anywhere - not a single indicator was working and not a flicker from the flasher unit. Hey ho, back to the beginning. :(
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The springs may have failed/rusted up in the bulb holders - maybe time for some new bulb holders?
ImageImage