Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
minor65
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Dad's latest purchase

Post by minor65 »

The three minors that we have, I suppose are technically mine. And although I thought three were more than enough :-? , I saw a traveller which was advertised on the UK classic car classified website (not overly popular over here). The car being a 1968 almond green traveller, located one and a half miles from us :D . We had seen the car about our town from time to time and new roughly where the owner lived. But as he was not a club branch member, the condition was kind of unknown. So dad arranged to view the car last Monday morning and to his susprise the car is in a lot better condition than we had originally thought. The floor/chassis/inner wings/ crossmember and engine bay are really really good. It seems to have had all new underbody panels replaced at some stage, as they are all perfect that I can see. The wood is in generally good nick (though I think a scrape down and danish oiling is on the cards), the paintwork is mainly very good (although the front wings have been touched up with the wrong shade of green :cry: ), but we need to see yet what we are doing with them. Unfortunately there is a towbar fitted and the number plate and lights have been fitted to the d/s/r door. We plan to change it back to the original place and remove the towbar (which has already been sold by dad). The interior again is excellent with unmarked seats. The car is not at home yet, but the cheque has been handed over and we have the log books (including the first original buff one). The car spent most of it's life with 3 owners around the oxfordshire area. In terms of how much money we gave for the car, I can't say. But want I can say is, I don't think the owner was switched on to how much the car was / is really worth when advertised. Although when our cheque was handed over, I think someone else had told him :oops: So I keep reminding myself that this car is not mine and that it is my dad's machine.

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Dad's latest purchase

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - it looks fine there! Until the cheque clears and he hands over the car the seller can of course still change his mind.......
ImageImage
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Got traveller home tonight. The brakes were brill when going backwards and wick when going forward :o . So got drums off. To discover leading edge the wrong way round. So then after head scratching. So we found that the front backing plates on wrong sides. So both hubs of (they nearly fell off the stub axle). So all swapped over and just need to bleed them tomorrow. Then to check the rears. Everything seems new. Bump stops. All brakes. Kingpins / trunnions. Needs very little mechincally. Mot'd until next march. It also came with around 25 old mot certificates and the original bill of sale.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Something of a result, lucky boy :D
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Well it has been at home for over a week now. Work done in that time has been. Checking all brakes which involved no new parts required, as everything looks great and fairly fresh. Also Kingpins, trunnions, bushes, bump stops, track rod ends, tyres all good pretty new. We changed the engine oil, gearbox oil, diff oil, plugs, air filter, brake fluid, coolant and tappets checked. Only chrome bad was the front bumper blade and overriders. So new blade and overriders fitted. All paintwork clay barred, compounded, polished and waxed. All hoovered and glass polished. Car waxoyled underneath with no nasty susprises. All cavities waxes including doors. Number plate removed from rear door and mounted unto rear bumper with new mounting plate sourced from charles ware. All other parts bought from esm.

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

david.graham

Post by david.graham »

Car looking good.
Welcome to the Traveller world!!
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

They really are quite remarkable cars. Still completely practical,reliable and usable.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hard to imagine how it passed an MOT with the front brakes 'wrong way round'...... :roll:
ImageImage