Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Setting static timing with no reference

Post by liammonty »

edd_barker wrote:Just to revive...

If I buy an electronic distributor (no points), when setting static timing do I use a 12v bulb tester to know when contacts are open/closed? And then set the timing by ear as per usual?

Edd
No - because it doesn't have any points (contacts) in it! It will be a case of trial and error.
edd_barker
Minor Fan

Post by edd_barker »

Haha ok, I do not think I've fully grasped the concept yet!

So the circuit is not open/closed in remotely the same way?

I will try and borrow a timing light.

Thanks,

Edd
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Correctemondo - I believe it uses a Hall sensor (you'll be able to look that up on line). I'm no whizz with electronics, so I'll leave it to someone else to explain how it works, but suffice to say, there aren't any contact breaker points that would operate a bulb for the purposes of static timing.

The timing gun will be handy to ensure you're in the right ballpark - I wouldn't rely on it too heavily though, as your timing mark may well be slightly off and engines all differ slightly - it is useful to ensure that the timing is in the correct ballpark. 'Advancing till it pinks' is normally fine, but I had one Minor that didn't pink audibly even when the timing was advanced enough to make it run badly, so the timing gun will provide a little bit of additional reassurance. Also note that when you're setting the timing, the vacuum advance is likely to make a difference at idle, so take that into consideration.

The timing gun can also be extremely useful for making sure maximum advance isn't too high,as it's this that can really cause some damage. That's what I check on my T2 VW, as those engines are really susceptible to failing if the timing is too advanced, as the cooling on them is marginal at best. As a ballpark figure, around 30 degrees maximum advance is what you should see, and this might be worth checking with a new distributor. It's easy if you have an adjustable timing gun, as you just set it to 30 degrees - not so easy if you don't though, as you have to mark 30 degrees BTDC on the pulley!
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

my understanding is that you cannot determine the points opening position by conventional means. You install the distributor aligning as well as you can with the dizzy removed. Then get the engine started, and time with a timing light.
Follow instructions that come with the new dizzy.
edd_barker
Minor Fan

Post by edd_barker »

Hi all,

Just a quick update as to the minispares destributor. Mechanic has set it to 24degrees advance for best idle and running, no pinking etc. Remember that my TDC pulley mark was made by eye so some 'flexibility' there! I am not sure it drives any better than the old one but I will be running it in over coming weeks so will update.

Cheers,

Edd
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

When I fitted Accuspark to my Minor's 25D4 dizzy, initially it wouldn't start at all. I found I had to rotate the dizzy quite a few degrees to even get it to start, then of course, adjust it for best idle and running without pinking.

I'm still not sure it's quite right, as it does pink a little now and then up hills...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)