Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Car not starting

Post by oliver90owner »

gtt1951 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:15 am Hello Alice,
Oh dear, that is too far for me to pop over to take a look with my 1960s/70's diagnostic tools (I'm in Farnborough, Hampshire).
I also think that travel to that area is being restricted - haven't been there since about 1975.

Have you taken out the plugs and checked the gaps (0.025" feeler gauge - use the 10 and 15 added together or metric 0.64mm)?
If the plugs have been out, what colour are they? Do they look "wet" or oily? Do they look light grey after a long run, or black?

Do you know anyone who has a Gunsons Colourtune device (this is screwed in, in place of a Spark Plug, and has a viewing mirror to let you see the colour of the burning fuel)? The mixture can then be adjusted to get the blue rather than yellow burn colour.
The mixture adjuster is that big brass nut underneath the carburettor, where the little pipe, carrying the fuel, goes up inside.

When you apply choke, the choke mechanism also lifts the throttle to give more revs - is this adjustment screw set correctly (i.e. is it working)?

All the best, George.
You have def not read much of the thread at all. Been mostly sorted by a proper service/tune-up.
gtt1951
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by gtt1951 »

That's because the system doesn't always send me a notification - the last 2 I had were after Alice's good news.

G.
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Alice Minor »

gtt1951 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:15 am Hello Alice,
Oh dear, that is too far for me to pop over to take a look with my 1960s/70's diagnostic tools (I'm in Farnborough, Hampshire).
I also think that travel to that area is being restricted - haven't been there since about 1975.

Have you taken out the plugs and checked the gaps (0.025" feeler gauge - use the 10 and 15 added together or metric 0.64mm)?
If the plugs have been out, what colour are they? Do they look "wet" or oily? Do they look light grey after a long run, or black?

Do you know anyone who has a Gunsons Colourtune device (this is screwed in, in place of a Spark Plug, and has a viewing mirror to let you see the colour of the burning fuel)? The mixture can then be adjusted to get the blue rather than yellow burn colour.
The mixture adjuster is that big brass nut underneath the carburettor, where the little pipe, carrying the fuel, goes up inside.

When you apply choke, the choke mechanism also lifts the throttle to give more revs - is this adjustment screw set correctly (i.e. is it working)?

All the best, George.

Hi George

As this thread is finished with I’ve left you a PM , I’m assuming you’ve missed it 😂

Alice
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

As it's sorted, I'm going to lock this now to avoid any additional comments.