Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dougie212
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Oil filler cap

Post by Dougie212 »

Hi there

So I noticed an annoying rattle coming from the engine bay of my 1958 1000 minor. Thankfully I was able to see straight away that it was the oil filler cap that isn’t going into place very well at all and is bouncing around. My first plan is to get a new filler cap and see if that resolves the problem before looking at changing the rocker cover. Before I order a new cap though could I just confirm with everyone that the current one is indeed the correct cap that should be on my engine so as to order like for like.
1590643C-02CB-4601-9A3C-77D3D794F6F9.jpeg
1590643C-02CB-4601-9A3C-77D3D794F6F9.jpeg (381.45 KiB) Viewed 516 times
Thanks
Duncan
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Re: Oil filler cap

Post by NETTIE »

Hi standard none vented cap needed also if you dont mind me saying i would refix the engine number tag plate before it falls off and gets caught in your fan belt and your top radiator hose is badly split
No offense intended.
THOSE WHO NEVER DO ANYTHING WRONG NEVER DO ANYTHING
Alan Bude Cornwall
Dougie212
Minor Friendly

Post by Dougie212 »

Hi Nettie…

No offence taken at all!!!! I appreciate any comments and help. I’m still new to this so any help is greatly appreciated. Ill get those points sorted asap.
Thankyou!!
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

Duncan ,
Here's a link to a non vented cap .There are other Morris Minor suppliers of course
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/engin ... 02-p830265
Bob
Dougie212
Minor Friendly

Post by Dougie212 »

Thankyou very much Bob! Appreciate the link..!

I’ll get the radiator hose too while I’m at it..

Thanks
Duncan
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

If you want true, exact originality on a 1958 Minor, I believe the oil filler car should be a metal one? Also, the vacuum pipe (between the distributor and the carb.) should be metal not plastic and feature a flame trap attached to the thermostat housing. The carburettor pictured looks like a later one without the brass top and the whole air cleaner should probably be the larger oil bath type too? The bottom hose probably shouldn't have a heater take-off. In 1958 that still came directly off the bottom of the radiator and ran along the RH tie panel before travelling directly up to the bulkhead and through to the heater - just the same as a Series 11 Minor. Lots of other small details too. Does any of this matter? Like most older cars, many changes will have been made over the years, but IF your desire is to fit all the correct original parts to your car and have it exactly the specification it was in 1958, you probably have to search out quite a few bits and pieces. Just as I would have to on my own 1958 car!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, metal cap. B-b-but.....haven't you sorted out your own car so it matches the 1958 specs yet 'ManyMinors'? :o :wink:
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

I do agree you can get a little too engrossed i think maybe sort the little things as they appear and build on it until you decide what route you want to take with your car
Alan Bude Cornwall
Dougie212
Minor Friendly

Post by Dougie212 »

Yes Nettie I absolutely agree I could become far too engrossed in the car and trying to achieve original perfection. I think I’ll do the little bits as they crop up and maybe do it bit by bit.
I do appreciate your detailed answer Manyminors and the idea of having the car completely original would be lovely but could quite easily become somewhat consuming.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Remember that the car is only original once :wink:

NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

philthehill wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:42 pm Remember that the car is only original once :wink:
Exactly spot on Phil
Alan Bude Cornwall