Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mike1864
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

French Low Emisson Zones

Post by mike1864 »

Can anyone advise on the current status of Low Emission Zones in France.
It's well known that Paris has restrictions.
But one of my MOT23 routes takes us through Rouen, which has bans for certain cars, areas and times.
Apparently cars over 30 years old can get an exemption (collector's) certificate.
But none of the French websites that I've tried take me to a relevant page to make the application.
And it would would need the manufacturer to make a declaration anyway. Or perhaps a French Historic Motoring Club.
Any guidance appreciated.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Re: French Low Emisson Zones

Post by Bill_qaz »

Can't help with the question of historic exemption but for my modern car the cost was low about €7 from memory and a pay once to obtain the screen tag it was easier to just get it rather than trying to work out which cities were or were not participating and risk a much more expensive fine.. What is the current charge?
Regards Bill
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to get an exemption from paying some sort of registration fee.
I'm trying to get an exemption from the exhaust grading system, none of whose levels our Minors obviously comply with.
Otherwise I have indeed got to work out which cities to avoid, in order their ANPR doesn't fine me €135.
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

I've done some more digging:
The website of the Federation of Historic Motor Vehicles has led me to the actual Rouen legislation.
But (understandably!) it's in French, and Google Translate doesn't work well on Legaleese.
There may be forms to fill in, and we (MOT23) are a bit pushed for time.
So is there anyone out there fluent enough in French to phone the Rouen authority, explain the situation, and determine what Minors need to do to transit Rouen without a fine?
Their number is 02.35.08.87.45
The relevant legislation is called "INSTAURATION D'UNE ZONE A FAIBLES EMISSIONS MOBILITE"
Many thanks in advance.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

Why not address the question to Mary Hall who leads the Amicale Morris Minor France. Unfailingly helpful, she will no doubt have the information at her fingertips. I am surprised that the issue has apparently not been addressed by those organising the 2023 trip.
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

I'd been hoping Mary picks up this thread. Her PM facility via this website seems to be turned off.
I think I've managed to send an email to the Amicale, but if any member can contact Mary directly, I (and the MOT23 organisers) would appreciate this.
Otherwise, it's a case of avoiding Rouen, and perhaps other cities.
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

OK. I've got hold of Mary, and she's kindly offered to look into the issue.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

Mary has replied in her usual helpful, friendly and efficient manner.

ZFE : Zone à Faibles Emissions = Low Emissions Zone

Véhicules de Collection is the French term for classic vehicles, it includes any classic car registered in the UK with 'Historic' mentioned on the V5.
Morris Minors or other classics from the UK which are not registered as Historic are treated as any other old car and as such cannot enter any ZFE, as they are too old to qualify for any form of Crit'Air classification.
Crit'Air official site in English : https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr

The fine for non-compliance is 68€ (in all ZFEs in France), reduced to 45€ if you pay quickly

For Rouen:
The formal legal document is the Arrêté N° EPMD 22.293, published on 29/07/2022
"Instauration d'une Zone à Faibles Emissions mobilité (ZFE-m), conformement à l'article L.2213-4-1 du Code Général des Collectivités Territoriales"
The exemption for Véhicules de Collection is given in Article 5 on Page 6
Link to full document here:
https://www.metropole-rouen-normandie.f ... 3_EPMD.pdf

General public type of info document is here :
https://www.metropole-rouen-normandie.f ... s-mobilite
Scroll down to 'Exemptions, dérogations & contrôles'
Click on ZFE-m Véhicules de Collection and it's there too

For Lyon:
the website is https://zfe.grandlyon.com/zfe-grand-lyon/
Any vehicle can go through Lyon on the main roads such as the motorways and around the ring road 'rocade'
Classic cars are exempt from restrictions in the ciry centre, but owners should complete an exemption form request which is here
https://demarches.toodego.com/mobilite/ ... ollection/
I don't know if it works with a UK Historic registration

Dijon does not yet have a ZFE (but by 2025 it will be one of the cities in France required by law with one in place or pending approval if atmospheric pollution levels are stIff you have any questions about any route by all means send them over.

Mary
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

Some websites assert that you need a "carte grise de collection" which, with the disappearance of Morris Motors, requires an attestation from the French FFVA historic car federation. But - after yet more hours on the internet - I discovered that they won't handle applications from outside France.
So the posting above apparently reflects the pragmatic position of the French; that a "Historic*" classification on your UK V5C is acceptable (* a conveniently similar word in French!)
Our own FBHVC are aware of this gap in the published information, and are working with their FFVA counterparts to get the position formalised (hopefully across all ZEF's) and better promulgated.