Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rose taupe
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Minor Seats

Post by Rose taupe »

When I first sat in my minor I felt like a little boy sitting at the adult's table, I couldn't see out the window, now I know I am not tall but this was ridiculous, as there is no height adjustment I purchased some rubber blocks to put under the seat to lift it a bit, but even with these it still wasn't up to a comfortable height, I am thinking of unbolting the seats and placing some spacers to give me more lift, has anyone else found a way to overcome this?
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Minor Seats

Post by Bill_qaz »

When I bought mine I had the opposite the seat felt to high and too close to the wheel. I decided to move the seat back to the optional holes and when doing so found a block of wood under the carpet across the floor, the previous owner had put under the rear of the seat legs. It feels much better now, it does have the adjustable drivers seat.
Regards Bill
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

You don't say what model you have but if it is a Minor 1000 I expect the foam cushion has lost its support and the webbing straps underneath have given up after all these years. The seats can easily be taken apart and new straps and cushions purchased. It is just a simple maintenance job really. I find that it needs doing every 10 years or so on my car and makes a BIG difference to comfort and the way I sit :D
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I find the issue is the straps they sell and used originally. These age and stretch.

I have replaced mine with normal webbing using the metal clips from the old metal clips. I did this 20 or so years ago and have no issues. You can prize open the metal clips and reuse them in webbing strips cut to length.

I prefer the harder foam sold by some suppliers. You can purchase this either from esm or locally.
Rose taupe
Minor Friendly

Post by Rose taupe »

Thanks for your input, I am still going through all the jobs that need doing.
My minor is a 1963 model that has the 1098cc engine but retains the clap hands wipers small lights, and banjo steering wheel, it seems this was a change over model, past owners have done a lot of work on her including a rebuilt engine with unleaded head, electronic ignition, telescopic shocks all round and estate rear springs, and most of the floor has been renewed but they must have run out of money because it has been brush painted, I am using a cutting compound and a buffer to remove the brush lines and it's looking presentable, My partner and I are its ninth owner so it has had a life. ( my partner has named her Rosie. )
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Bill_qaz »

It's te same as mine (split personality model), see viewtopic.php?p=694360&hilit=Split+model#p694360
My seat base has a one piece rubber diaphragm rather than separate straps but a couple of the hooks had come adrift and it makes the base sag.
It's only 4 bolts at the front pivot and the seat lifts out to work on the base.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... ps-p828869
Regards Bill
Rose taupe
Minor Friendly

Post by Rose taupe »

Yes, that's right, It's a split-personality model, I went out into my carport to buff the paintwork this morning but it was so hot the buffing compound dried on the body in a few seconds, and under the cover of the carport it is like a greenhouse.
Rose taupe
Minor Friendly

Post by Rose taupe »

I have been looking at the seat foam kits and have decided to make my own, I purchased a piece of high-density foam 4" thick 20" wide by 46" long, this is for refoaming sofas and beds but is half the price of the car kits, I have used this before to make cushions and it cuts easy with a serrated bread knife, I will use the old foam as a template, this will also give me a chance to repair a split in the seat cover that I will be able to do from the inside.
Has any else done this and how did it turn out?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I have cut replacement foam cushions myself. You need to use a heavy, dense foam and cut it to the correct size and shape which is slightly tricky but a good result can be achieved with practice. As I said earlier, the foam (and straps) lasts a decade or so whatever you use if the car is used regularly. Good quality foam is costly whether you purchase large sheets and cut it yourself or purchase the cushions already cut from ESM or whoever. You'll save a few ££ doing it yourself but it'll take you a bit of time - like everything else :D
Rose taupe
Minor Friendly

Post by Rose taupe »

I have stripped my seats down and resprayed the metal frame, ( I found a shilling in the foam rubber ) I need to repair a few small splits in the covers before I put them back together, I went to a few local car breakers to look at seats from a Fiat 500, Ford KA and a Micra, but they were in very poor condition and they wanted £50 a seat, and I had to remove them myself, so I decided to refurbish my own, my Morris is not going to be a daily driver as I'm retired now and I still have my Honda Jazz for shopping etc, so she will only go out on sunny days and shows, my greatest pleasure at the moment is that wonderful smell of old car when I open the door.
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

I found the same as you with regards the driver's seat height.
I raised it sufficiently, for me, by using pieces of hardwood with correctly spaced holes to accomodate longer bolts. Pipe clips fix those blocks to the seat frame at the rear so that the blocks raise with the seat when it's tipped forward.
Rose taupe
Minor Friendly

Post by Rose taupe »

I am in the process of repairing the vinyl seat covering, over the years it has developed some splits which I have repaired by glueing a patch behind the split and when dry I over-stitch it, I am the car's ninth owner and its 61 years old so I suppose it's done well with all the bums its had in it, the colour of the vinyl has faded a lot and I don't know if I can restore that, or should I leave it as a sign of its life.
I am still thinking about a way to raise the seat as I'm 5ft 6ins and it's way too low for me, apart from putting blocks under the back,