1275 spridget distributor

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Hannomag
MMOC Member: No

Post by Hannomag »

Still trying to find out more about the 1275 unit that I didn't know I had....All the ancillaries are from the standard Moggy and fuel consumtion and longevity are my main goals....(at present 30mpg..not bad I thought)....I know that big bore exhausts, larger carb and heated manifolds will make it go faster, but is the standard distributor from the moggy suitable for the 1275.....or are the advance curves so different? Don't seem to get rid of pinking on hills at diferent mixtures and timings,
ianselva
Minor Friendly

Post by ianselva »

You don't want a heated manifold it will only aid warming up quickly , after that it loses you power because the colder the miture feeding the engine , the denser it is and so releases more power.
philc

Post by philc »

disagree, without a heated manifold you will get carb icing in winter - also check Vizards' book, he recommends a heated manifold. 30 mpg isn't very good, I get 45 from my van on a run and 40 in commuting. How much work do you want to do ? Start with raisng the compression ratio, get rid if the standard exhaust heated manifold, get a decent carb (SU HIF series), put good ignition on. Happy to chat, have been there done that and published an article in club mag.
tuning72
Minor Friendly

Post by tuning72 »

Hi
Just to put my h`penny worth?
I would start by using all ancillories from the Midget. That is, if you want good all round performance,ie; there are four choices of distributor for the 1275cc, all serving different purposes. The original set up was for best performance to include economy.
The start is the model cyl/head fitted 940 I think then match carb,manifold,dist,camshaft
and exhaust. If you tune one then you have to consider the effect on all. Same with w/heated manifold, I think you will find that Vizard was giving info for mods. That is with different carbs. etc.
We used to fit a water vapour jet into the manifold, for that reason> more dense=better filling.Especially with marine conversions.
BUT that is not the whole reason! Please excuse Book.......Ivor
tuning72
Minor Friendly

Post by tuning72 »

Hi, A Note;;;
Large carbuetter=poor performance, unless different,cyl head,valves,piston types,so so and on. 1964--"Monte Carlo" The Mini was disqualified for having smaller valves??????
......Ivor
Hannomag

Post by Hannomag »

Thanks Guys, but only just enough money to keep the thing on the road, so major mods wil have to wait, I've got a very late (98) unleaded mini head , but was still wondering if there's anyway to eliminate the pinking on hills, just by changing the distributor, and if so where would I get one..... or would elecy igniton make alot of difference ( the distributor is nearly new)?
Hannomag

Post by Hannomag »

Thanks Guys, but only just enough money to keep the thing on the road, so major mods wil have to wait, I've got a very late (98) unleaded mini head , but was still wondering if there's anyway to eliminate the pinking on hills, just by changing the distributor, and if so where would I get one..... or would elecy igniton make alot of difference ( the distributor is nearly new)?