Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
madmumtj
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

flasher unit/can

Post by madmumtj »

i have a morris minor 1966 saloon , having problems with flasher can , i have bought 2 new intermotor units 58800 both proved faulty , supplier unwilling to order a third , anyone know of a alternative make and suppliers? we live in north yorkshire near west yorkshire boarder.
also need a rebulid kit inch and a quarter carb hs2 ?
all help gratefully received and i want my moggy back on the road .
many thanks again Tiffany x
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Are you sure the 'flasher can' is faulty ? What are the symptoms ?? To test the indicators - take the can away and temporarily join the two wires (not the one going to the warning bulb) together. Now you should get solid 'non-flashing' indicators on both sides - front and rear - as you move the switch. Is that working ??
Wouldn't go for 'rebuild kit' for the carb - just clean it! Alloy wheel cleaner from Poundland works well!
ImageImage
cormorant
Minor Fan

Post by cormorant »

If you look at one of my posts I posted a pic of the insides of one of these flasher units and they are indeed flimsy beyond belief. Only alternative is NOS if you can find one or look on ebay there are electronic units for about £12 but they don't look the same as the original
madmumtj
Minor Friendly

Post by madmumtj »

orginal can failed totally , first new can warning liht flashed once with front and rear flasher flashing 2 or 3 times per second this at both sides but not together of course, next replacement flashers working perfectly but no warning light . short live at can to warning light terminal at can warning light then flashes once pointing to another faulty can. thqanks for your help so far x
nigelr2000
Minor Addict

Post by nigelr2000 »

I had the same problem with one side flashing and the other only flashing when the engine was running. Fitted a second can and had neither side flashing unless the engine was running then went for an electronic one and had no more problems.

I intend to live forever.....so far so good

The other place to be :- http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
madmumtj
Minor Friendly

Post by madmumtj »

thank you for all your advise have ordered a lucus one and if all else fails will buy hubby a red flag and he can walk in front lol x
madmumtj
Minor Friendly

Post by madmumtj »

:lol: :lol: :lol: new lucas flasher can has arrived and is fitted and i have working indicators again am so happy thanks everyone xxx :lol: :lol: :lol:
Phil-tq
Minor Friendly

Post by Phil-tq »

Had a problem recently which had me scratching my head for a while. Decided to put flashers on a split screen and seal off the trafficators. Nothing permanent, but I would feel safer with flashing lights.

New wiring loom has provision for flashers, with the flasher unit under the bonnet. For the front indicators I used original Minor combined side/flasher units and wanting to keep the rear lights original, I've hung flashers off the rear bumper. These are the aftermarket surface mount type that use a festoon bulb and are similar to Mini indicators.

Ran separate earth lead to each light and made sure there was a good ground.

Powered everything up and each side flashed a little fast, but the warning light on the speedo would only flash once and then stayed out.

I won't bore you with everything I tried to find the problem, but it was not obvious. Eventually I replaced the festoon bulbs that came with the flashers and everything worked fine. Cheap bulbs that were obviously not rated at 21W despite being marked as such. Threw them away.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Cheap bulbs that were obviously not rated at 21W despite being marked as such.
well found. The hot element type flasher unit relies on the correct current in the circuit to give the correct flashing rate. This way if you have a failed bulb you will see the interior indicator flashing speed change - giving the driver a warning that the indicators are faulty.
The downside is that if the bulbs are not 20w, you won't get the correct flash rate.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(