Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
captain_70s
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Just too unsafe?

Post by captain_70s »

Well, after about 3 years of wanting a Morris Minor or indeed any classic car it seems I just won't be able to. :(

Now a month from my 18th and taking driving lessons my parents have very kindly said they will help put some money towards buying a car, but there are limitations... I can't have anything over 10 years old at maximum, and they'd prefer if I got a car from the mid 2000s.

There main reaons appart from the obvious matinence and reliability a Minor won't offer is the saftey aspect. They have said even Pug 106s, Corsas and Fiestas are too old, small and unsafe with 2 star NCAP ratings and want me to get something bigger.
Seems a shame that I spent ages reading up and researching old cars from Minors to Triumph Toledos only to be told that is doesn't matter because they just aren't feasable to drive.

They did say I could "Keep it on SORN most of the time and just take it out to show in the summer like all other classic car owners do", but I know I can't afford 2 cars at my age and don't want to leave a car sitting out side over winter.
andrew.searston
Minor Addict

Post by andrew.searston »

my brothers just past his test and bought a pug 106 for £750 but its £2100 a year for insurance.
minors are a great starter cars im hopeing to get one once i can drive (years time).
im my opion its pointles having a classic if its kept on sorn and only used for shows as their so much fun u can have out of them. i would fight this battle between your parents as its a lot cheaper than a modern.
[sig]9671[/sig]
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

My opinion, if it's worth anything ;), is respect your parents advice as a new driver. They are only looking out for you. There is nothing wrong with joining a classic car club, but not actually owning one. In a few years time, with more driving experience behind you, do the classic thing then. :D You can still post on here and keep yourself involved with the mad house or mingle with your local club and help them out on maintenance and repairing cars.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

carlosramalho
Minor Addict

Post by carlosramalho »

Dean
Good advise!!! :wink:
cheers
carlos
MM Lowlight 1949 - Portuguese Registration
Traveller 1964 - formerly AKR 343 B
Convertible1969 - formerly XCH 455 G
Pickup 1971 - formerly BTT 213 K
MMOC 66138
MORRIS MINOR is Forever also in Portugal
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Thanks Carlos. :D
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

I'm afraid I'm in Andrew's camp with this one. The Minor makes an excellent first car. reasonably good handeling, decent brakes (no anti-lock but you wont get them on a small cheap goggle box either) limited performance, cheap to run and cheap and easy to repair. You will learn more about cars and driving in a few months of Minor ownership than you will in years of goggle box driving.
When my daughter turned 17 I bought an old 1000cc Mini - she loved it and if I'm still around when my grandson reaches 17 (or maybe it will be 35 by then) I might just buy another (or maybe even a Minor)
Good Luck
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I think modern cars isolate the driver too much from the surroundings to such an extent that most drivers are totally unaware of potential problems. I learned to drive in my no - NCAP rated Minor, have taken it into isolated car parks in ice and snow just to find out what happens (dont do now though!) and because you are not cacooned away from the elements/enviroment you will respect situations better as you will be more aware of the consequences.
A high NCAP rating doesn't mean you can get away with anything!
Good Luck
wottleitdoo

Post by wottleitdoo »

As a parent myself, I understand where your parents are coming from, but you're a teenager,get stroppy. Rebel a bit (rebellion...Morris minors???!!!?). Tell them you're thinking of getting a motorbike. A Morris Minor will seem much safer to them.
Cheers,
Iain
Kevin

Re: Just too unsafe?

Post by Kevin »

captain_70s wrote:Well, after about 3 years of wanting a Morris Minor or indeed any classic car it seems I just won't be able to. :(

Seems a shame that I spent ages reading up and researching old cars from Minors to Triumph Toledos only to be told that is doesn't matter because they just aren't feasable to drive.

They did say I could "Keep it on SORN most of the time and just take it out to show in the summer like all other classic car owners do", but I know I can't afford 2 cars at my age and don't want to leave a car sitting out side over winter.
I can understand your parent's point of view as regards the safety aspect because teens do have a slight reputation when it comes to driving not that I am saying it applies to the younger posters on here.

I don't think your research is wasted as it will stand you in good stead even if it happens a little later on than you hoped unless your direct finances improve.

Unfortunately your purse string holders do not appear to be classic cars fan's, and it sounds like they havent got to grip's with Sorn as that's only for ongoing long term projects as to drive a car on the road it has to have an MOT and as road tax is free on a Moggie there is no advantage in putting it on Sorn. Like many drivers they seem to think that classic cars are gargae queens that only come out for summer shows which is far from the case as there are quite a few on here that use their cars every day.

Dean's suggestion about joining a local classic car club is a good idea, and if they are the same as our local branch an interest in the cars is all that's needed, we have have non Moggie owners in our branch for many years but still enjoy the club and even a few too young to drive and the odd too old to drive any longer, but all are welcome.
So stick with it and you can always get plenty of advice on here even if you are not in a position to make use of it :D
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
h20_mako
Minor Fan

Post by h20_mako »

Hi captain70s. I am Jason 24 this year and over here in Singapore we can only acquire our license at age 18. And i got a minor as my first car. Drove it for 3to4years and got a 2nd car toyota mr-s.
Frankly from my personal experience, when i drive a new car, i will tend to speed which is potentially dangerous also. So i decided to sell the mr-s and converted back to my minor. And i love it even more as i will cherish it rather then rev it.
Jason
[sig]9869[/sig]
new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan

Post by new_adventures_of_arthur »

To be honest, it sounds like you're parents are smothering you a bit!

Or maybe just being parents I suppose. Still I agree with Wottleitdoo - REBEL!!! Crikey, you'll not be the only teenager that bought a machine that their parents didnt agree with.

If you wanted an old car bad enough, you would refuse their offer of the money and buy whatever car you wanted. Whatever happened to saving up enough for a banger (not necessarily a classic - but your first transport)?

It gives you such a sense of pride to know that you're starting to stand on your own feet and afford you're own transport - besides, this way you wont run the risk of parents guilt-tripping you about needing a lift anywhere, or needing the car if they havent put any money to it.

Whatever you decided to do, happy motoring, and drive safely!
Have now joined the 'cool kids' at [url]http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk[/url] :wink:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Minors are very easy (and much less expensive) to maintain then 'newer' cars ! Also - you will find it near impossible to get insurance for anything with much more than a 1000 cc engine. The Minor handles safely -and doesn't go very fast anyway. Wear a good seat belt - even put a roll cage in it if they think you are going to roll it! Buy a half decent one and there will be no depreciation either - and of course no road tax to pay. I think Insurance for young drivers can be arranged at reasonable rates through the Club ?
ImageImage
Jonah681
Minor Fan

Post by Jonah681 »

Go for the Morris. A sensible driver will outweigh any safety rating.

You're also forgetting other aspects of owning a Minor. At college, we took it in turns to drive to the local pubs. When it was my turn along with a few others with their new cars & sports cars, I left my Moggy at the end of the queue. The lads obviously wanted to give lifts to the girls and let them choose their preferred car. 'I want to go in the cute little red one at the back!' was the vote, leaving me with four rather attractive young ladies to ferry around.

Don't underestimate a moggies other type of 'pulling power'! Remember Chris Evans on Top Gear. Despite a garage full of Ferraris worth millions, he had a Moggy. As he said,"No one can possibly hate a Morris Minor driver"
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

bmcecosse wrote:Minors are very easy (and much less expensive) to maintain then 'newer' cars ! Also - you will find it near impossible to get insurance for anything with much more than a 1000 cc engine. The Minor handles safely -and doesn't go very fast anyway. Wear a good seat belt - even put a roll cage in it if they think you are going to roll it! Buy a half decent one and there will be no depreciation either - and of course no road tax to pay. I think Insurance for young drivers can be arranged at reasonable rates through the Club ?
I'd add to that, that a Minor is more predictable than most moderns. You can feel what its doing and if you do happen to go a bit too far, it will let you know. My impression of moderns is that yes, they have ABS and other devices, which cocoon the driver but often, when you overcook things, its too late to do much about it. You can still hit the wall with ABS, its just that the wheels will still be turning :wink: .

It's not the car that's dangerous; rather the people at the wheel. I'm not overly fond of stereotyping but if I had to say which cars I found most dangerous, on the basis of how they are driven, I reckon Fiestas and like, plus certain German cars, would have to be top of the list!!!!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Statistically, how many Minors are involved in serious accidents? Very few I suspect, that is why insurance is relatively inexpensive. Surviving accidents is just as much a case of avoiding them in the first place and a Minor is a good car in which to learn to be aware of your surroundings and how the car is handling and to drive accordingly. I have yet to see a Morris Minor tailgating in the outside lane of the motorway at 80mph!
Keep persevering!
[sig]3580[/sig]
Jonah681
Minor Fan

Post by Jonah681 »

It's not the car that's dangerous; rather the people at the wheel.
I agree with Blaketon. To most, a car is a method of getting from A to B, whereas classic car owners appreciate the journey & are more likely to be careful drivers. Their car is not a disposable as a modern box.
davidr

Post by davidr »

When my daughter first passed her test she insisted on using my minor to go to college.

One day, having just passed through some traffic lights the car in front stopped to turn right. The car behind her pushed the minor into the back of the car in front.

The result of this sandwich - two cars written off as unrepairable with a repaint to the boot lid and minor (no pun intended) cosmetic damage to the morris. No personal injuries, but a red face and a hole in the pocket of the driver of the third car.

As others have said the minor, if properly maintained is a safe car, stronger in construction than a modern car. It may not have crumple zones but it does have bumpers - steel overiders also help.

It also looks different, which is why they are loved.
andrew.searston
Minor Addict

Post by andrew.searston »

as above
my mates take the mikey out of me and one to a better word take it to far
but they want a saxo (chav cars). a minor is diffrent and stands out. i suppose thats why my mates dont like it.
[sig]9671[/sig]
captain_70s
Minor Friendly

Post by captain_70s »

Thanks for the advice everyone.

At the momment I'm deciding between getting my car fund or using it to move out, my commute to college involves a 5am start 3 hours travel each way by bus and taxi so I get home at about 7-8pm.
This is really getting to me now and decent employment is impossible to find in my remote location so I may be trying to move into a flat in Dumfries. Far easier to get a job and 20 min walk from college.

Sadly this of course means no car money, and even if I save enough to buy a car no off road parking. Not good for classic car matinence. :roll:

Interestingly earlier this year I was thinking of getting a 125cc motorcycleto get to the college bus stop 18 miles away. In the end didn't because I didn't want to ride in the cold and ice in winter, apparently though although my parents were all for it when I 1st suggested it they has changed their minds by the time I decided it wasn't for me anyway!
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

What a strange attitude from your parents.
"Unsafe with 2 star NCAP"?
What sort of minus number NCAP would a motorcycle rate?