Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear leaf springs

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Is it possible to upgrade the suspension on the rear of my saloon by using replacement leaf springs for a Traveller (7 Leaf) or even the heavy duty van ones (8 Leaf) (or are they too long to fit into the existing fixing points??). I regularily have a full boot and carry well fed (:lol:) adults in the back, so the existing saloon springs (5 Leaf) are looking a little flat......
Thanks, Mike.
[frame]Image[/frame]
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Rear leaf springs

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes -the 7 leaf Traveller springs fit straight on. Not so for the LCV springs - slightly different fixings. Be aware that some folks have reported new springs sagging very quickly after fitting - may be wise to ask for personal experiences of springs that DON'T sag - since we are not allowed to tell of springs that DO sag! :roll:
May be worth asking Jon at JLH for his advice - he's very helpful and will give you an honest opinion http://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/
ImageImage
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

If you can find a set that don't sag, you'll be beating me!! They seem to only be any good for occasional light use. I am now running my traveller on 8 leaf van springs as a desperate attempt to keep her end up. ESM have specially moulded some polyurehane bushes to adapt the front eye of the van springs to the front mount on the car version. Thats how keen they were to solve my problem!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's interesting! Didn't realise you had gone that far LA. So - how 'harsh' is your Trav with the 8 leaf springs ?? Does the back end skip about much ?
ImageImage
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

bmcecosse wrote:That's interesting! Didn't realise you had gone that far LA. So - how 'harsh' is your Trav with the 8 leaf springs ?? Does the back end skip about much ?
I think Graham Claydon did it out of desperation after I rejected the 4th set of 7-leafers! Harsh is an understatement, but as I often/usually have a fair load in the back it's acceptable- especially with the standard fully sprung rear seat squab! Can't say I've noticed her skipping particularly though, definitely less bouncy than the boy's 1100 over sleeping policemen!!
What is exaggerated is the tendency for the springs to seize when the car is left unused for a while (not a likely occurence). After the first 20 miles or so the springs get noticeably more supple.
The "special" polybushes for using the van springs are available at very reasonable cost on request from ESM, who I have to say have always been extremely helpful!

Still pinning my long term hopes on the parabolics,though :wink:
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

mmmm.............. Food for thought indeed. I think I shall try traveller springs to see if they sort my problem first, as you say they are a direct fit....
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - straight swop. Do take the chance to upgrade the dampers by draining/refilling with sae 30 or 40 oil.
ImageImage
BitMoreBlurred
Minor Friendly

Post by BitMoreBlurred »

So it's okay to use engine oil in the front dampers (I used to top-up my leaking damper with some very old Armstrong damper oil, but I've nearly run out now. BTW the leaking damper has now been replaced)?

Have fun,

Mikey
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Any mineral oil will be fine - the higher the viscosity rating - the better the damping! But do use straight SAE 30 (or 40) oil - not multigrade 5W30 or 10W40 - which are effectively 5 and 10 respectively at normal temperature. Do drain the horrible/filthy/smelly old oil out the dampers first - and flush through with the new oil a couple of times - and then erevisit them to top up for a couple of weeks as the air bleeds out to the surface.
ImageImage
BitMoreBlurred
Minor Friendly

Post by BitMoreBlurred »

I'm realise I'm going off topic here, but are there any strong opinions about filling the front dampers whilst the wheels are taking the weight or should the car be raised to remove the load first? Perhaps it makes no difference?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You need to bounce them up and down to expel the old oil (after removing the valve assembly) - so - on it's wheels!
ImageImage
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

BitMoreBlurred wrote:I'm realise I'm going off topic here, but are there any strong opinions about filling the front dampers whilst the wheels are taking the weight or should the car be raised to remove the load first? Perhaps it makes no difference?
Take the load off them, otherwise you end up with a face full of fluid when you take the filler cap off. No prizes for guessing how I found out...............
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

a face full of fluid
Something wrong there, shouldn't be any pressure involved when the suspension is at rest.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Exactly - but a small air space should be left - in other words - don't brim it right up!
ImageImage