Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
youngun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Wheels and tyres

Post by youngun »

Seeing as, amazingly, its something that I will soon be bolting back onto the Moggy (gasp), i thought it best to ask about wheels and tyres.
First off, Im guessing the best thing to do with the cross plys is chuck them in the bin and get some radials? BUT what size and what make is best. Also, ive seen a few moggys now with what i can only describe as "deep dish" but original style wheels....gives the car a nice look. Does anyone know what these are, and where i can track down a set?
Any tyre/wheel advice greatly appreciated....was thinking of getting some minilites possibly?

YG
Ultimate rust cure for your moggy....paint it brown, at least that way you dont notice the rust as much!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Wheels and tyres

Post by bmcecosse »

Likely they are the 4.5" 'van ' wheels - only fitted to the later vans with 'uprated' capacity - known as LP917 wheels mainly because that's what's stamped on them! Their price has risen considerably recently - but they are/will be a good investment - never likely to go down in price. They work well with the 155 x 80 tyre. There is also an ultra rare 'reverse rim' version of that wheel - but they are almost impossible to find. There are also some slightly wider (5 or 5.5" - not sure) wheels made by Minor Developments I believe, using a modern car rim welded to the Minor wheel centre - I think Kevin (the Mod) has a set on his Traveller but I understand they are £80 each now..........and only the last few remain (if any) to be sold - and no more will be made. Or you can go the alloy wheel route - several Cos supply these - one I know of is JLH. Jon sometimes has a 'special offer' going on these although at the moment there is no price shown !
ImageImage