Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

morris minor models they look realy good

Post by irmscher »

just found this link for minor models and others www.TimsDiecast.co.uk bit pricey but i guess you get what you pay for
bjm38
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: morris minor models they look realy good

Post by bjm38 »

I have the Sunstar 1:12 Minor 1000. It's very good for the most part except for the over-sized bonnet and boot hinges (understandable since true-scale parts would be too fragile) and the rather clumsy "Minor 1000" decals.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Good grief -- £100?! That's insane. But I can see how a model might not just be for show: if you have a Minor you suspect of being modified or deteriorated, a model may be helpful to see how your Minor should be.

That Sunstar model is, I guess, worth the price (though I'd be loathe to spend $150 on ANY model), considering its detail. You spotted the worst of the mistakes, bjm -- I'd add that the valve cover is too wide and the rear lights are too low. Nonetheless, what with its complexity, it's a very well done little thing. Looks better than some real Minors I've seen.

Now watch them electrify it and have working lights and a running motor. :lol: And watch the price double...
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

i see what you mean about the hinges :o
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

I saw that in a model shop in birmingham today, £114.... for the *more popular* vw beetle and camper it was £150!
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

Just thought I would show you my model[frame]Image[/frame]
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

that looks good :D
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

i think the shop offers %10 off to mmoc :D
Timbohan
Minor Friendly

Post by Timbohan »

bjm38 wrote:I have the Sunstar 1:12 Minor 1000. It's very good for the most part except for the over-sized bonnet and boot hinges (understandable since true-scale parts would be too fragile) and the rather clumsy "Minor 1000" decals.
I'm pretty sure they are photo etched badges and not decals. I think the clear plastic peels off and it' s just there to protect the photo etched parts.

Regards,

Tim.
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Post by SGTBILKO »

I really think that this is a very good model even accounting for the few faults which, incidentally, are more noticeable in the photographs than in life. A £100 seems a lot of money to spend on what is effectively a toy for adults. If I could get back all the money I've spent on model cars over the years I would be able to buy that Traveller I've always wanted![frame]Image[/frame]
bjm38
Minor Fan

Post by bjm38 »

Timbohan wrote:I'm pretty sure they are photo etched badges and not decals. I think the clear plastic peels off and it' s just there to protect the photo etched parts.
Hi Tim,

Good news...you were right, the clear plastic does indeed peel off. Bad news...the offside bonnet badge visible in the photo fell off! Fortunately, I managed to replace it with tweezers and a little clear acrylic to act as adhesive. The purists out there are going to say it's still not quite right but I daren't try to adjust it any more.

[frame]Image[/frame]

The badge on the boot isn't quite centred but it's more trouble than it's worth to try to fix that.

Thanks for the tip.

Bernard

rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

That is a truly impressive amount of detail for a model - I can see where the price tag comes from!
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
bjm38
Minor Fan

Post by bjm38 »

The level of detail is quite something, you can even read the mileage on the speedo. Nearly everything that should move, moves, right down to the trafficators, the sunvisor and twin glovebox lids. However, as with all of these models it's not really intended to be pawed, even by adult hands.

It looks a little incongruous in its case next to an 18" long model of Lady Penelope's FAB 1! :)

Bernard

bjm38
Minor Fan

Post by bjm38 »

SGTBILKO wrote:I really think that this is a very good model even accounting for the few faults which, incidentally, are more noticeable in the photographs than in life. A £100 seems a lot of money to spend on what is effectively a toy for adults. If I could get back all the money I've spent on model cars over the years I would be able to buy that Traveller I've always wanted!
You're right, the pictures do tend to highlight the shortcomings of the model - certainly my 47yr-old eyes don't focus too easily anymore on something small unless it's really well-lit. I tend to buy ready-made models more these days for that reason, though most of my collection's 1960s British TV sci-fi stuff. [/SAD GIT MODE] :lol:

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Fingolfin wrote:Good grief -- £100?! That's insane. But I can see how a model might not just be for show: if you have a Minor you suspect of being modified or deteriorated, a model may be helpful to see how your Minor should be.
To be honest I dont think it would help, it may be very carefully and intricately made but some of the features still aren't correct for the year as this will have been modelled on a real car that has been changed/modified since new..... sorry for being an anorak :oops: :roll:
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Anorak, huh? That's a new one on me. :lol: It's okay. I suppose I was desperately grasping at straws to try to justify such expenditure. Truth is, I just don't have that kind of money to blow on a model -- when I should be using my meager moneys to fix up the real one!
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Sidney'61 wrote:"some of the features still aren't correct for the year as this will have been modelled on a real car that has been changed/modified since new..... sorry for being an anorak :oops: :roll:"
So c'mon then andy, do tell us whats wrong with it, the door cards should be plain on a 2door?
___Anne___

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

The door cards were plain for that era yes but I'm not going to go into any more detail so as not to upset anyone who's bought one as all-in-all it still looks a fantasic model.
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Post by SGTBILKO »

Just thought I would post a couple of pics of two models from my collection. They are hand made white metal models and not to be confused with die-cast. The first is from the late seventies, made by Mikansue which later became Western Models and the second from circa 2000, made by Brooklin Models from their Lansdowne range. They are 1/43rd scale.

chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

with regards the bonnet hinges on the original post, i've got a similar model (got it for my 18th b'day, so it wasn't me that shelled out for it!) but the first thing i did was open the bonnet to a reasonable height and it came off in my hand :evil: then i noticed the sticker saying 'do not open beyond 60 degrees'! i think they must have had numerous complaints regarding that and settled for oversized hinges that work rather than realistic ones that break!