Tyre clearance

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Kevin
MMOC Member: No

Tyre clearance

Post by Kevin »

I just wondered if that having a disc brake conversion gives a bit more clearance at the top trunnion than the standard set-up when using the wider Van rims as the general rule of thumb is to use 155`s or 165`s on the rims, but often the 165`s are very close, however on looking at a couple of vans they appeared to have reasonable clearance, but on closer inspection both had the Sierra type disc conversion, so does the kit give a slight spacer effect to the front ?
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
custommartin
Minor Fan

Post by custommartin »

Kevin

I can measure the clearance on the front of the Pick-up and then measure my disc - brake kit (already assembled on up-rights), if you like?????

Let me know.

Can't do it until the week-end though, I'm afraid!

Cheers :wink:

Martin
1971 3.9 litre V8 Pick-Up - At least most of the bodywork is original!
Hibernating - Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

1966 V8 powered roadster - Now out of hibernation - not long til it's done.................
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

That would be great Martin but there is no rush as I am not ready to do either at the moment although I have the wheels (need serious cleaning and repainting) and discs, and I wondered if this is one of those variables that enable some cars to run happily with 165`s although one of the vans was using a 70 profile so the bulge may be a bit less.
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
ColinChandler
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

tyre clearance

Post by ColinChandler »

Yes, you are right. I had a set of van wheels and 165's tyres with the original drum brake set up and the tyre on one of the wheels wheel used to just brush the upright. The other 4 wheels were ok so a case of everything being at its worst I suppose. However, when I fitted a Marina-style disk set up, there was no problem with even the worst wheel having enough clearance. From memory it gained about a 1/4" or maybe slightly more.
custommartin
Minor Fan

Post by custommartin »

Sorry Kevin,

Ran out of time this week-end.

Leave it with me!

I could bring the info on sunday, all being well.

See you soon.

Martin

1966 V8 powered roadster - Now out of hibernation - not long til it's done.................
custommartin
Minor Fan

Post by custommartin »

Hi kevin,

On my JLH Ford - based kit, distance between the wheel mounting surface and the very top (top-hat protrusion) of the top trunnion is
14 cm

I measured this with a long straight edge across the wheel mounting surface and up, passed the trunnion, then measured across. :-?

My kit was specially modified to take a different wheel stud AND 4.5 inch spacing, but I doubt this would have affected the off-set.

The off-set of this kit and the previous Marina one I had fitted seem very similar.

Unfortunately, I never got a chance to measure the standard set-up on the Pick-Up......it WAS raining (AGAIN!) :roll:

I hope that helps.

Cheers.
(See you tomorrow?!)

Martin

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for the info Martin and Colin but the disc brakes do seem to increase the offset and give a bit more clearance I had a look at a couple yeterday and with discs it seems to be around 15mm with one shod with 165`s but on one with 155`s and drums it was 2-3mm and looked really close. so it appears to gain 10mm or 1/4" ish.
I assume Martin you meant 14mm as I know my metric measurements :( are still stuck in the realms of good old feet and inches and not very good but looking at the rule on my desk 14cm is 5 1/2" :o
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I assume Martin you meant 14mm
wheel mounting surface to the trunnion... (not between tyre and trunnion)
So I think he meant what he said Kevin ;-)

Dunno about those wierd 'cm' units though, being an engineer it mm or inches for me..
custommartin
Minor Fan

Post by custommartin »

Hi Kevin,

Yep, 14 CM, wheel mounting surface to top of trunnion.
Sorry for any confusion. :wink:

As someone who works in a Restoration workshop, where there are several generations working together, it can at times be VERY confusing.

The more mature ( :wink: ) tend to work in feet and inches, the youngsters (me mainly!) tend to work in centimetres and metres BUT also in feet and inches when passing on info.......

All our engineering suppliers work in millimetres, so all orders have to be in millimetres.
It is usually me who places the order! :-? :-? :-?

_h_____
Minor Friendly

Post by _h_____ »

Kevin,

I guess you are unable to do this now, but if you went for Marina rims, you will easily fit 165s, I have a marina disk kit on marina rims and run 185s all the way around, never had any issues. It does slightly lower the car over all aswel, as they are 13" wheels. However, it does the change the look quite a lot, which you may not like.

PS found a supplier for my yokos - thanks, they are good tyres.

regards

Hugh