1960 four door Morris 1000 on ebay

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Kittycat
MMOC Member: No

1960 four door Morris 1000 on ebay

Post by Kittycat »

I'm considering buying the following vehicle listed on ebay. Does anyone know the car? I'm a complete novice with no mechanical aptitude and the car does have some rust spots and bubbling on the rear doors, so I'm not sure whether it's the one for me or whether I should go for something in slightly better nick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330819055781? ... 1438.l2649
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Re: 1960 four door Morris 1000 on ebay

Post by lambrettalad »

the description seems detailed ,price if as said seems very fair.

Why not state your location and see if any one is near you or the car to take a closer look.
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

If you haven't already read it, take a look at this thread which offers advice to those thinking of buying a Minor: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37815

It's very difficult to judge the condition of a car, or offer advice as to whether it is the car for you, just by looking at a couple of photos. Minors can be real rust traps so as a 'complete novice' when viewing a vehicle please take someone with you who has previous experience of Minors / 'older' vehicles and will know the areas to check. You don't give your location but as the car you are interested in is in Huntingdon it might be worth contacting the Cambridge MMOC branch to see if someone would mind checking the car over with you. The branch contact is Jean Fisher: jean.fisher (at) ntlworld.com

In your initial post here you mentioned that you had a budget of up to £4,000 to spend. You should be able to purchase a very nice saloon for that price so take your time when looking to make sure that you get a good one.

(ps: I moved this thread from the 'for sale' section as you are seeking information rather than advertising a car for sale)

Eric - 1971 Traveller
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Is it me or do the chrome headlamp rims look more 'BMC Farina' (Oxford, Cambridge, maybe A40) than Minor?? They seem to not fit right and come to a slight point at the top......
The car looks to be worth a look at 'in the flesh', so to speak, though.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Agree with Jagnut the rims do look like they came off an Austin Cambridge - they're too deep and not shaped. Looks a good buy though.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It seems to have had most of the usual rust traps renewed - hopefully done correctly. No mention of any engine/clutch/gearbox/axle work - so that may be coming along soon. Even so - that's all relatively cheap compared to rust repairs! As mentioned - tell us where you are - maybe someone is near to it and willing to give it a quick once over. On the other hand - the buy now price is not excessive - and the car could be snapped up at any time. If possible - GO AND SEE IT - with the money in your pocket. If you like it - buy it!!
ImageImage
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

If hes asking £1.5k the odds are he has a lower negotiable price in mind.
As you need to tidy it up a little perhaps you could get a couple of hundred knocked off for work required :wink:
As suggested, Try to find someone local, a friendly mechanic perhaps to go with you.
Is it worth spending the money on an AA check? (wait for the flack at that suggestion) :lol:
Remember when negotiating, "who asks questions leads"
Where angels fear to tread
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The AA won't have a clue about it -and will list all manner of frightening faults..... It's an idea though that the MMOC may like to follow up - a network of keen/ competent owners who could be called on (for nominal 'expenses') to inspect cars for sale and issue an MM report!! :)
ImageImage
Kittycat

Post by Kittycat »

Thanks for all your replies chaps and ladies, it is very reassuring to a complete amateur like myself that there are so many friendly experts out there willing to give advice.

Sadly the lady who owns this car has not got back to me with a location and I am either going to have to buy it blind or err on the side of caution, so although I am dying to own my first Moggy I will probably have to give this one a miss. I will definitely be keeping an eye on the forums though, and fingers crossed will have my perfect Moggy by Christmas.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Err on the side of caution, I'd say it's unusual for sellers not to communicate.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Kittycat

Post by Kittycat »

From the bid history I think she probably has at least two other people interested and it is creeping up to the 'buy it now' price so I am expecting it to go in the next day or so anyway. Still, you never know, and if she gets back to me tomorrow I will try to get out and have a look at it.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As a post script, this sold for £1501 in the end. I hope it's as good as it looks for the buyers sake.
Best wishes,
Mike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330819055781? ... 1423.l2649
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Don't worry and don't lose heart!! - there are still plenty of very good cars available and probably nearer to you than this one was. Keep looking on the classic car for sale websites too as these change regularly. Also don't forget to look in Minor Matters as well. Let us know where you are located so we can keep our eyes open in case we see one. You can edit your profile to include your location. Good luck :D

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

You can edit your profile to include your location
That's a good point actually, how do you edit your profile?
I've looked before and not seen how you do it.
Best wishes,
Mike.
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Go into User Control Panel on Message Board home page, press profile tab and the scroll down to location and add - don't forget to press submit when you have finished adding stuff :D

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Many thanks. :D
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

Keep on looking
that car you want is out there somewhere
waiting for you with your name on it
but slowly not to rush into
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

How strange, this car is/was actually about 2 minutes from where I live - I've seen it around many times and I think I spoke to the owners daughter about it once.

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b