Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Peetee
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

switch won't budge!

Post by Peetee »

I'm trying to get the rheostat switch out of an old, knacked heater unit. It's held on by a chrome collar (which has come undone OK) but the bakerlight knob bit won't pass through the heater casing. How do I get this off the shaft to remove the switch intact?
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello PT,
some knobs are retained by a spring clip, look or feel underneath and if there is a small hole, use a small pin punch or the like to press inward at the same time pulling the knob (It may help to refix the collar temporarily to do this) Others, less commonly, screw on.
Good luck,
Alec
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Cheers Alec, i did look at that little hole (which was a bit grubby) in the hope that it had a screw head. i couldn't see one but I'll look again for a spring clip too.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Pete these type of fixings were often used on some interior door handles (not moggies) and were often of the spring pin type and if you dont have a pin punch small enough a small nail of the correct size held with pliers etc may also work.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello PT,
if it has a hole then it is the sprung clip. A small screwdriver will also serve, it may need a bit of effort both to push the clip and ease the knob off. It is difficult to describe the clip but it is simple and obvious once you get the knob off.
Alec